Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Hand painted decal

Article about: Hello all, this is my first attempt at this so my apologies if I have messed it up. Bought this helmet about 25 years ago and would like an opinion on whether you think the hand painted deca

Default Hand painted decal

Hello all, this is my first attempt at this so my apologies if I have messed it up.

Bought this helmet about 25 years ago and would like an opinion on whether you think the hand painted decal (or any thing else) is period to the helmet.

Thanks in advance and well done on an excellent forum.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand painted decal   Hand painted decal  

Hand painted decal   Hand painted decal  

Hand painted decal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hand painted decal
    P
    Many

?

I am afraid that the paint, the tricolour and the painted symbol all are postwar as well as the personalization on the rear of the skirt.
    Welcome to the forum btw.
    Doug

?

Welcome to the forum friend. Urrgghh! Yet the liner & strap look untouched and complete, Would have been a nice lid with out the added "extras" Cheers, Sean.

Welcome to the forum, I am afraid that Doug has said it all on this helmet. The component parts are original but the paintwork and decals are not. Leon.

Thanks for your replies. Not a big surprise with the decals, but didnt realise the paint was post war- so live and learn. Inside the top of the shell is field grey so hopefully it still has a little original paint !!
    Thanks also for your welcomes great to get information from people who really know thier stuff

?

As we do occasionally get these original but messed with helmets posted, I often wonder.. What now then? Once it is confirmed as messed with or non original. What is acceptable to do with these lids? Other than if the owner was still happy to keep it. My first thought would be to take it apart, Sell the original components and shell separately. I was wondering if you all would find that sort of thing acceptable with these kind of helmets or if not, What else would you do? Cheers, Sean.

As far as this helmet goes it will be staying with me, Ive had it a long time and even though its not right I will keep hold of it. Maybe in the future some one will come up with a good way of removing the post war stuff and revealing whatever is underneath without doing any more damage to it.
    It definately wont be taken apart and sold off for parts, as I dont think it helps the helmet itself or other helmets being cobbled together to make a "bitsa".
    Not an easy one but I dont think it helps collecting not just helmets but any militaria to make stuff up from parts that arent original to itself.(Or were field repaired or re-issued etc at the time.)