Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

HEER M40 ET62 Lot 1263 Stahlhelm!

Article about: Hi Guys, Shown below is my first helmet, a model 1940 from the ET works in size 62. Unfortunately it did not come with a liner but at least the rivets were there. It was priced right for the

Default HEER M40 ET62 Lot 1263 Stahlhelm!

Hi Guys,
    Shown below is my first helmet, a model 1940 from the ET works in size 62. Unfortunately it did not come with a liner but at least the rivets were there. It was priced right for the condition and other than the small issues I was happy to add this helmet to my collection. Hope everything looks good with it. Thanks, Bob

For those new guys like me, here is a little information on the factory that produced this helmet.

HEER M40 ET62 Lot 1263 Stahlhelm! Postcard photo of the plant in operation long ago.

HEER M40 ET62 Lot 1263 Stahlhelm! A modern photo of the Thale plant headquarters building.

The Eisenhüttenwerke in Thale was the largest of all helmet production facilities during World War II. The Thale plant played a principle role in the preliminary and ongoing design of the new M1935 steel helmet that would eventually be worn by all combat troops of the German Armed Forces (Deutsche Wehrmacht). The Thale plant began producing steel helmets for the German military during World War I. In keeping with tradition, the Procurement Office of the Army and Navy awarded the Thale plant with one of two initial contracts for the production of steel helmets. Eventually three more German facilities would be added to the list of manufacturers. Thale engineers worked on the principle upgrades that modified the M1935 through various stages resulting in what is known today as the M1940 and M1942 models. The facilities are still in operation today although they are engaged in steel manufacturing and civilian products rather than items related to the military. Many of the older factory buildings continue to be used, although many were destroyed by Allied bombing raids and then later demolished. A small museum located in Thale gives an excellent synopsis on this factory which began operation in the 1800's. Due to its size, the firm was the principle employer of German labor in the local area. (courtesy of German-Helmets.com)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HEER M40 ET62 Lot 1263 Stahlhelm!
    P
    Many

A fine looking shell, personally I would "drop" a liner in there but others would say leave it as it is. Either way, a nice looking lid. Leon.

Very nice lid! I, too, would likely be tempted to hunt down a correct liner for it, but then again, you would always know that it did not come with it, so it could be a troubling bit for some(like myself!). The way it is now, it will sit very nicely on the shelf and look just fine, in any case! (I wonder what actually Did happen to the liner? The shell is in such fine shape, did someone have an SS lid and wanted a perfect liner to upgrade a tattered one for it, so they cannibalized it? Is just one of those mysteries!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I also wondered why they would remove a liner and the first thought was a liner stained with DNA! Never even considered just removing it to place in a better shell as everyone seems to look at the rivets to see if they have been opened!
    Next in line will be a decent Luftwaffe helmet! They seem to be relatively easy to come by. Thanks, Bob

MAP
    ?

Nice lid. It's a beauty of a nice worn combat lid. Only speculation as to why there is no liner / band. I personally would be surprised if someone took it out to swap into another lid. If the liner was in decent shape it would have been worth a nice penny as is. Despite all the glory of more sexy helmets, these appeal to me most. They were the backbone of the Wehrmacht!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

very nice thread with pics and info.