Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet Faker's beware!!

Article about: I just found this website about the scientific approach to sniffing out the good ones from the bad. Very interesting indeed, here is the link - XRFacts — Provenance through Science

Default Helmet Faker's beware!!

I just found this website about the scientific approach to sniffing out the good ones from the bad. Very interesting indeed, here is the link -
    XRFacts — Provenance through Science

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Faker's beware!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet Faker's beware!!

Clever.......How much though?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Clever.......How much though?
    250$ whitout shipping
    http://www.xrfacts.com/xrf_certifica...order_form.pdf

If this works its invaluable to high end german helmet collecting ,and that means from about 300£s upwars approx.worldwide there are thieves preying on the enthusiasm of genuine people WITH HARD EARNED CASH,with an interest in ww2,by trying to pass fakes as genuine.IF THIS SYSTEM BECAME WIDESPREAD AND EASY TO use it would consign the fakers to history.

?

Kelly Hicks is the one doing this. There was a table at the SOS handing out info on it.

Mike

Knowledge will always be the nr 1 tool to use. It will give you the advantage when things come up for sale as for the really good stuff you need to be quick on the draw.

For ultra high-end super expensive helmets XRF will be a big help.
    That said it cannot tell when a decal was applied , you will need other tools to detect post war original decal placement.

For run of the mill factory produced helmets a forum gives quicker and cheaper advice.

?

I suppose badges are next. Sad it has to come to this.

?

Sounds great. BUT how does this system determine when period paints, decals, etc. have been applied?
    Is this spectroanalisis ?
    If so what are the prevailing criteria for authentication ?
    I absolutely love the idea but how will this help the collector on a budget? It would cost me better that 12 grand to get COA's for my stalhelm collection.
    There are many questions I would like to know before I would place any trust in this system.
    Just a few thoughts.
    Steve

?

As you probably have seen, the analysys made only for german helmets, and has some words in the certificate " Under visual evaluation and XR fluorescence"
    IMO, that is another way to make a money based on the someone's knowledge, but that is'nt give the guarantee that the original decal applied to the fake painted helmet with exact same paint as must be, and the right shell- will be cosidered as a fake ( in most cases you'll get a negative answer, due of re-issued helmets was painted with different sorts of the paint)
    I will say that here you got the certificate firstly based on the opinion, but not at X-ray fluorescence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_fluorescence
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I have just been reading an excellent critical analysis about this procedure on another forum and thought I would re animate this old thread to see if anyone has any further thoughts on it or has used this service? I know a couple of dealers are now using the XRF Certificate as a form of 'provenance through science', however a couple seem to have slipped through the XRF net on a well known dealers site! This procedure may become a common place occurrence on dealers site's in the near future and I think it is a point which warrants further discussion on any forum dealing with German helmets. Could prices increase due to this? Would you pay for your lids to be tested? or do you trust your own judgement to uncover those fakes? Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast