Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)

Article about: Hi guys, found this helmet in Belfort, France together with an obviously fake Panzerkampfabzeichen (confirmed in another thread, thanks for that). For me the helmet was more interesting, esp

Default Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)

Hi guys, found this helmet in Belfort, France together with an obviously fake Panzerkampfabzeichen (confirmed in another thread, thanks for that). For me the helmet was more interesting, especially the empty badge part on one side. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)   Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)  

Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)   Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)  

Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)   Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)  

Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet found in Belfort, France (Alsace)
    P
    Many

I would have to handle this for a while to give an opinion. What is going on in pic #2 ? Not sure what that image is.

Like the way the paint has worn away from the prior decal. According to a few members here, these were often post war painted white for various reasons in France.
    So....it's a tough call. White helmets are the most challenging to authenticate original period applied or post war. For the right price, if I handled it at a show or in person, I would be tempted to buy it, again "for the right price"

Thanks RS for your post, appreciate it. Pic #2 is a close-up of the inside. There is a weird looking metal patch (4 altogether).

Was this a "ground dug" relic find ? Any idea the environment it was in when found ? Attic, barn, basement, etc.etc. Asking because the inside looks rusted & in a condition that might suggest ground dug or found outside. Also appears someone may have painted the inside black to prevent further rusting.

Looking again...seems it was painted at some point in a very rough textured paint before the white was applied. I wish I had this in hand. I am starting to like it the more I look at it

?

Judging by the heavy rust pitting under the paint, it is a ground dug or barn found helmet that has been given a thick coat of white gloss paint at some point.

The highlights which show through the white paint point to this having been quite rusted at some point. Maybe its been used as a plant hanging 'basket' and hung from a front porch?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The highlights which show through the white paint point to this having been quite rusted at some point. Maybe its been used as a plant hanging 'basket' and hung from a front porch?
    Hi Steve.
    Do you think the white paint was period done or post war ?

I think it was used as a flower pot or something. I don't see any wartime paint.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I think it was used as a flower pot or something. I don't see any wartime paint.
    Was waiting on you Frank.....

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Steve.
    Do you think the white paint was period done or post war ?
    It has to be post war. You only have to look at the state of the metal under the paint to see that. Some 50 years ago I was the proud owner of a German M16 helmet which some enterprising 'Tommy' had painted a row of daisies around the circumference of the helmet. They were only the right way up when the helmet was upside down, so I always assumed that it was used as a plant pot.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast