Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet identity?

Article about: Sorry if this is a repost, I'm not sure if my first attempt worked. I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify this helmet, it looks very similar to the standard M35 or M40 helmets

?

Default Helmet identity?

Sorry if this is a repost, I'm not sure if my first attempt worked. I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify this helmet, it looks very similar to the standard M35 or M40 helmets apart from a couple of minor issues.
    1. The rivets where the air vents usually are are solid and not hollow
    2. There is a circular section of metal on the inside of the helmet near the rim which kind of looks like the chinstrap retainer thats been cut down from an M16 (or something similar)
    3. The helmets looks like its almost been semi-formed with a hammer in places, could just be that its been knocked around a bit though

I am fairly sure the finish on the helmet is not the original. I would be grateful for your opinions on this one
    Regards Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet identity?   Helmet identity?  

Helmet identity?   Helmet identity?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet identity?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet identity?

Major issues - bondo-filled, repainted relic. Not worth
    much at all in this condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks like a refurbishment attempt gone horribly wrong. I'd throw it on eBay and see what you get then save that for a nice helmet, if that's what you are looking for.

?

I had wondered why the surface had been so uneven, take it thats the filler you mentioned? Any idea what the rivets are, they don't seem to have any benefit? It belongs to a teacher at a past school, I believe he paid £35 for it, sounds like even that may have been over the odds though. Would the circular bit I was on about earlier just be filler then?
    Regards Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet identity?  

?

Also can anyone tell by the shape what manufacturer or what variant of helmet this one originally was? I would have guessed an M35
    Regards Matt

It might be an SE M35, it seems to match the general profile of their helmets. The thing on the skirt might be filler, it's not anything to do with a chinstrap that's for sure. £35 is probably a bit strong a price but it's not that brutal. The owner should be able to get that back on eBay if they wanted to. One odd thing that struck me is the visor seems to dip downwards, it might be the pics or filler making it look like that though.

Looks like a post war made helmet. I doubt it is original TR.

Regards, Corey

?

Thanks for your reply, I had thought that it may have been a WW1 helmet that for some reason was converted unprofessionally into a WW2 looking variety, which would have explained the rounded protrusion but your explanation sounds more logical. If I remember correctly the visor does dip downwards, any ideas why it would be like this?
    I see where you're coming from about it being post war made, my only doubt it that it seems in such a bad state to be a reproduction, could it be a military copy of the WW2 variant (maybe an East German shell, although the vents would probably be too small)?
    Regards Matt

?

This may show the tipping down of the visor better
    Regards Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet identity?