Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Helmet mold/repair stand???

Article about: Stumbled upon this on Ebay. The seller referenced it as maybe a German helmet repair block or mold. I've never seen anything like it. Any thoughts?

?

Default Re: Helmet mold/repair stand???

There were "Fiber parade" helmets made from vulcanised fibre that were lightweight also lightweight aluminum, it has been suggested that these were made and used for senior officers and injured personell when parading, but ive never heard of paper mache being used, what would happen if they got wet, ie rain or even the heat and sweat from persperation, but obviously children had toy helmets made from various materials

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet mold/repair stand???
    P
    Many

Got home and checked my ref.(Brian L. Davis German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945)
    You are correct Dave they (Senior/injured personel parade helms)were made of Plastic (Bakerlite?)or as you state Fiber or aluminium not paper mache.
    Crossed wires gents.Apologies.

Unusual piece.
    Perhaps for making fiberglass replicas for the film industry ?

Looks as though the bottom of the dome section has been
    refinished in the recent past - there is no age
    or wear to it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Unusual piece.
    Perhaps for making fiberglass replicas for the film industry ?

Looks as though the bottom of the dome section has been
    refinished in the recent past - there is no age
    or wear to it.........
    Agreed. No wear and the varnish is crudely applied. Has some bad runs on it. My theory of it being a shaping mold for the leather when steamed is because of the down sloped front part. One would be able to wiggle it back and forth for shaping.

?

Ok , ive just tried an experiment, i took a straight edge and on the first photo i lined up the straight edge with the lower part of the front brim and it appears that the brim and the rear flare are symetrical and would look like that of a conventional helmet, therefore the inclusion of the upper dome throws off the shape, but then i tried doing the same with the third photo and there is a marked difference in the angle proving the whole piece is not symetrical from side to side, with this in mind it would appear that there would be no reasonable application to use this object as a former or to shape any part of a helmet, i believe its now either a made up item designed to fool or a privately made object for display purposes, any other theories on this?

?

That rules out my theory. Maybe a made up item is not a bad bid.

?

A bash block for a German helmet!!!!! I git a Bakelite slouch hat bash block

If it was a bash block,which is what I first thought it may be would it not be dented and scared if used to re form combat weight helms.
    It's an interesting piece of timber though.Something different.

How Bizzare! I've looked at all sorts of film on the manufacture of helmets and i've never seen anything like it either! could be your average Joe trying to bash out his own version? maybe with a background in Hat making? Just a thought because i have seen "Hat Blocks" for Bowler hats that look very similar but without the skirt of course, very interesting and possibly a "one off"

Regards Phill

Hi,
    Well this has turned out to be a great thread, and some very interesting comments i really hope we find out what it is. thanks for the film Rene, i have seen that before but just forgot it, ( an age thing,lol. ) and Dave, yes you were right about the decal fitting, Keep it coming folks,.
    Dave.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast