Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Helmet mold/repair stand???

Article about: Stumbled upon this on Ebay. The seller referenced it as maybe a German helmet repair block or mold. I've never seen anything like it. Any thoughts?

?

Default Re: Helmet mold/repair stand???

I have my doubts about bashing/hammering a steel helmet on a wooden block. If this is what it is, it have never been in use. As said before, i have restored classic cars in Denmark and there we used small rounded metal "anvils" with a variety of curves (don't know the English word for these tools) to hammer out small dents. Here we are talking metal sheet body work less than 1mm in thickness. I don't think it will work with helmets and wood.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet mold/repair stand???
    P
    Many

?

I have serious doubts about this being a repair block, helmets were plentiful during the period, like any other soldier they are taught to adapt, use initiative, if your on the battlefield and your helmet gets damaged, you pick up one that some poor soul doesnt need anymore the same as you would do re a weapon or ammo, i cant see any unit or company carrying one of these about in the unlikely event of some soldier asking for dents to be knocked out of a helmet, and if the helmet was one used at the home front you could get another from the QM stores quite easily or not even bother provided the helmet could still be worn without discomfort

?

It is a hatters block. Why it was made in that shape is a mystery to me. They are used to shape felt hats.
    I own over 60 of them, different sizes an shapes ( not this design ) that I have used over the years to mount German headgear on I also clean and block my own western hats on them. The required amount of time and skill to carve one out would tell me that it was not done as a fluke. The varnish is a later addition.

Hatters block, would also be my guess, but like you not sure they were ever made in felt....
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I have my doubts about bashing/hammering a steel helmet on a wooden block. If this is what it is, it have never been in use. As said before, i have restored classic cars in Denmark and there we used small rounded metal "anvils" with a variety of curves (don't know the English word for these tools) to hammer out small dents. Here we are talking metal sheet body work less than 1mm in thickness. I don't think it will work with helmets and wood.
    Anvils = Dolly's i was a panel beater once upon a time.

Phill

Here my question, where are there markings on this? Come on IF this was legit, there would be some type of marking on it. Think about K98 or luger every piece had marking on it. you would think this would to.

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    Here my question, where are there markings on this? Come on IF this was legit, there would be some type of marking on it. Think about K98 or luger every piece had marking on it. you would think this would to.
    I'll run with that,Not a military piece.

Gday Fella's
    Whilst I have paper mache on the brain.Just for interest's sake.
    World War Two Japanese Fire Police Heavy Paper Mache Helmet

Helmet mold/repair stand???

Would not paint and lacquer seal this style helmet from the elements?
    cheers all.

?

Hi Dave, well i suppose this helmet was used as you said, but to be honest would you wear a helmet made from paper, covered in lacquer and paint in a fire, paper catches fire at 451f, the firestorms that occurred in Japan were horrific mainly because of the type of materials used for building , i think thats one job i would give a miss

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi Dave, well i suppose this helmet was used as you said, but to be honest would you wear a helmet made from paper, covered in lacquer and paint in a fire, paper catches fire at 451f, the firestorms that occurred in Japan were horrific mainly because of the type of materials used for building , i think thats one job i would give a miss
    Thst crossed my mind also...por japanese fire fighters

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast