Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Thoughts

Article about: I also posted a thread this helmet over on wehrmacht-awards, but thought i would get your guys thoughts on it also. I also asked a question in the restore thread as to whether i should leave

yanks12025
    ?

Default Helmet Thoughts

I also posted a thread this helmet over on wehrmacht-awards, but thought i would get your guys thoughts on it also. I also asked a question in the restore thread as to whether i should leave it alone or try to restore it, for now it's going to stay the same inless i learn about a good way to restore/fix it up with out damaging the paint and decal.

Helmet is a M42 with what i think is slate gray? I don't know the maker because it's to rusted. The wierd thing that i dont get with the helmet is there's an exit hole in the back but on the brim there's what looks to be the entrance hole but the metal it peeled up, if it was the bullet going from the front to the back wouldn't it be peeled down. Thanks for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Thoughts   Helmet Thoughts  

Helmet Thoughts   Helmet Thoughts  

Helmet Thoughts   Helmet Thoughts  

2. # ADS

Zable
    ?

Default Re: Helmet Thoughts

Thats a neat exit hole. I'm guessing here that this hole may have been added a little later by someone else, and judging by the size of the hole on exit, it looks to have been done at a pretty close range.

May have been done to try and add a little more to the authenticity of the helmet?

As for the general condition itself, i would leave as it is

I would have no concerns re the entry/exit holes. Oddly enough and I have seen this a couple of times before, an entry hole can exhibit peeled back metal making it look odd.

I honestly would not touch this helmet. It looks fine as it is.

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

I like the helmet as it is!!!

Cheers
    Reg

?

I agree leave as is rgds Dave