Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helmet type

Article about: Hi, I don't know your age or stage of collecting but if you like it, go for it. It is a bit overpriced though, because it is cracked. Everyone started with rusty lids at some point, so I see

?

Default Re: Helmet type

Hi, I don't know your age or stage of collecting but if you like it, go for it.
    It is a bit overpriced though, because it is cracked.
    Everyone started with rusty lids at some point, so I see nothing wrong. But it is pretty much a worthless lid for most of the collectors, if tomorrow you'd like to sell it. Maybe you should look on the net for lids in better conditions, there are plenty of them around.
    Regards

Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Compared to the relic rusty repainted lids they are selling in Normandy this ones dirt cheap, a nasty looking m40 with pitting rust holes and repainted a horrible gloss green is being sold for 290 euros and thats one of the supposed cheap ones, as for the damage, possibly battle damage, or it could just be a stress fracture, either way if you want it go for it, you learn that way

?

About Normandy: I heard that some dealers over there buy all over Europe relic stuff to resell to tourists. This is very obvious if you just stop and think about it, unless they can multiply the relics like the bread and the fish...
    Still, storms of tourists are ready to pay big money for rusty helmets most probably coming from a place anywhere near Normandy and bring it home as a relic...and the story goes on
    Regards

Matt

As a historical artefact it's a bottom drawer one , I would save the 40 euro and put it in a jar. Each time you want to buy something like that say "no" and put the money in a jar.

Soon you will have 700 euros or more in that jar and that will buy you a very nice helmet with a decal , liner and chinstrap.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    As a historical artefact it's a bottom drawer one , I would save the 40 euro and put it in a jar. Each time you want to buy something like that say "no" and put the money in a jar.

Soon you will have 700 euros or more in that jar and that will buy you a very nice helmet with a decal , liner and chinstrap.
    good suggestion!
    Regards

Matt

?

I dare say you are right Zeller, but these relics were all in the local shops, selling ice cream ,food normal sea side souveneirs etc, the american helmets , obvious made up replicas, most of which are clone m1s are well pricey 5-600 euros, i found a place that was selling m1 liner chin straps, newly made, for 100euros,now i know that these french ports of invasion are very supportive of the veterans etc but there are many who exploit the ordinary tourist, i stopped one dad trying to buy a replica m40 for his son being sold for 300euros without anything on it not even the split pin holes for the liner!!, needless to say french anglo relations were set back a tad and i had a woman ranting at me all the way out of the door, ive never been sworn at in french before so it was something new for me, still i enjoyed my three days there

?

I think there is a lot to be dug and found there and stuff still pops out but you have to be really aware of what you're getting. A couple of years ago I got for few euros a relic british para helmet from a german friend who found it himself just walking in the bush with his gf. it is falling apart but the story was supported by pics and he was a friend of mine.But I would be cautious with anything from a souvenir store,no matter if original or fake
    Regards

Matt

Quote by Zeller View Post
    About Normandy: I heard that some dealers over there buy all over Europe relic stuff to resell to tourists. This is very obvious if you just stop and think about it, unless they can multiply the relics like the bread and the fish...
    Still, storms of tourists are ready to pay big money for rusty helmets most probably coming from a place anywhere near Normandy and bring it home as a relic...and the story goes on
    Zeller, this makes perfect sense !

To associate Normandy - or any famous battle site - with any relic will
    make it sell for more money than it usually would, to ready and willing but
    unsuspecting tourists................no matter where the piece comes from !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

same applies for stalingrad or demjansk relics: I saw rusty Heer buckles sold for over $100 . Come'on ...
    Regards

Matt

?

I can understand the relics being sold for heavy prices but to paint a rusting shell with a gloss green paint and then try to sell it is sheer madness they would do better to leave well alone and in its original state!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast