Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

*help*German helmet

Article about: Hey guys So I’ve slowed down in looking for helmets but I happened to come across this one at a garage sale sight and I know collectors do not care for these to much in this type of conditio

Default *help*German helmet

Hey guys So I’ve slowed down in looking for helmets but I happened to come across this one at a garage sale sight and I know collectors do not care for these to much in this type of condition but I have fallen in love with it haha. The character To it just is great to me. But of coarse iam probably biased to it so I’m going to put it on here before I buy. These pictures are low quality as I asked the guy for better ones he said he would send some as soon as possible. As Ithis looks to me to be a luftwaffe helmet but I have been wrong many times before. Also guys to me if you zoom in on the side without a decal it seems as if someone painted a tree and if you zoom in more it looks like a guy is running away from it. I just thought it was interesting let me know what you guys think, is the paint and the eagle decal original,and thank you guys as always.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture *help*German helmet   *help*German helmet  

*help*German helmet   *help*German helmet  

*help*German helmet   *help*German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement *help*German helmet
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

It appears to be an original Luftwaffe M35 made by ET. However while original, condition makes it not very desirable. To repeat what other members have already said, spending more to get a really nice helmet is the better investment rather than all of this trolling through the bottom of the helmet market that you are doing.
    If bargain basement helmets in poor condition are your thing and you dig them, it's not "wrong" to collect them. However I think collectively we are trying to steer you into buying something nicer because its value will appreciate more over time and will, despite the higher price, be easier to sell if you ever have to.

If this one can be had for a song, then pick it up and you'll have an original that you can handle in person and learn from.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Maybe the "Guy running away from it" is trying to tell you something ? Would leave this one alone. Search for something complete.

Haha I thought that was funny does anyone else see that though or is it just me.?

I can't see it. Maybe just some "Vet art". But seriously...you should try to be patient being it's your first helmet. Even if $$ is tight, so save a bit longer for something solid
    D.

Yeah I really do need to work on my patience haha I’m only 20 years old and I just feel like all these helmets are going to dry up one day and there will not be any but I know that’s a bit of an exaggeration in my mind haha. But you guys are giving me the best advice so I am going to work on that.

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Yeah I really do need to work on my patience haha I’m only 20 years old and I just feel like all these helmets are going to dry up one day and there will not be any but I know that’s a bit of an exaggeration in my mind haha. But you guys are giving me the best advice so I am going to work on that.
    That is the realisation to take to heart.

You are a young lad yet and you have more time than most of us

You wouldn't buy a pair of training shoes or the latest PC gameware without at least asking for opinions and you would probably do a lot more research (media and peer based) without even realising it. This is the same.
    Do research, learn what to look for and remember that if you try to buy a race winning greyhound for $10 and you don't have the right knowledge you will end up with the junkyard dog that WILL bite you.

Patience is a virtue and time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very well said!

The only thing I see you losing is money!

About 20 years ago when I first purchased a German helmet I also thought they would dry up (still feel that now sometimes) but what I have learnt is that they aren't really drying up. If anything there are more available due to more being sold on the internet. Sure some of the really nice ones might now be in collections but these helmets also come up for sale often as collectors move them on to buy another helmet ( or due to their wife discovering how many they have....!!!)

The longer you stick around on this forum and learn you will also notice how often helmets come up. Take a look at some of the threads starting at the beginning of the year and you'll see how many have been purchased by forum members just this year alone. You're in the best place to learn about authentic German Helmets so just be patient and a good one will come to you.

As a 23 year-old who recently acquired his first legitimate German helmet, I can tell you that the saving and the extra time spent waiting is more than worth the end result. I purchased my first lid at a show this summer, and came home with something that turned out to be a heap of crap. It is now a stain on my collection, and I doubt very much that I'll ever be able to get rid of it, short of tossing it in a landfill. I regret that purchase to this day, and all because I jumped on what I thought was a decent helmet at a bargain price. Below is a picture of said helmet.

*help*German helmet*help*German helmet

Below is the result of my second attempt. With some patience, determination, and the help of the gentleman above (David/real steel) I ended up with this.

*help*German helmet*help*German helmet*help*German helmet

Look at the two sets of pictures. Which of the two would you rather have? I'd wager your choice would be the second one.

As I have said previously, if it is too good to be true, it is.

The truth is that the supply of these helmets is not going to dry up for a long time. As long as there is a collector interest in them, the supply/demand will ensure the market remains rife with them. A century on, there are still plenty of First World War German helmets floating about, and still marked up at decent prices. WWII-era helmets are going to be around for a while yet. There really is no rush. Patience and perseverance is rewarded in this hobby, and taking longer to save and sift through the helmets available on the market will leave you with a lid you can be proud of. And of course, if and when the time comes, you'll have no trouble selling it on.

A decent German lid will hit you in the wallet. That is the hard truth. But in the long run, your wallet and your collection will be richer for it.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast