Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help on helmet please - my first german helmet

Article about: Friends, would it be possible for you to comment on this helmet i have just purchased please? I believe it is ww2, but as this is my first german helmet i thought i would defer to the expert

?

Default Help on helmet please - my first german helmet

Friends, would it be possible for you to comment on this helmet i have just purchased please? I believe it is ww2, but as this is my first german helmet i thought i would defer to the experts...
    It all apears original, heavily pitted, but everything looks to be there.
    ET 66 is stamped on the rhs of the skirt, and there is a faint marking to the rear. Does the decal look ok?
    Any comments most appreciated, thank you very much as always,
    Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on helmet please - my first german helmet   Help on helmet please - my first german helmet  

Help on helmet please - my first german helmet   Help on helmet please - my first german helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help on helmet please - my first german helmet
    P
    Many

I like it Shaun,
    traces of green below the sand finish.

Cheers
    Doug

I like nothing here. ET font looks incorrect, decal is questionable. Liner looks artificially aged (stain or shoe polish). Tie string holes too big, chinstrap bales have an odd shape. Just my observation....
    D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    I like nothing here. ET font looks incorrect, decal is questionable. Liner looks artificially aged (stain or shoe polish). Tie string holes too big, chinstrap bales have an odd shape. Just my observation....
    D.
    Totally agree, and I think the decal is a out and out fake IMO.
    Sorry for the bad news.

The big question for me would be the very clear sanding marks over the decal and no where else on the helmet - you can see where someone has sanded away at the decal to try to age it. You can even see where the sanding marks have gone over the rust as well. As mentioned, the liner does like artificially aged.
    Sorry for the bad news, I hope it was not too expensive.
    Nick

?

Oh dear! No problem though gents, thank you very much for your honesty.
    I don't feel conned, as the lady I bought from was very honest and said she knew nothing about, think it was around £75, but I thought it was worth the risk.
    It is a very solid feeling helmet, and the liner is very fragile, but I can never tell...
    Is it worth me taking the liner out to inspect further? or maybe just thinking about moving it on?
    Thanks again, as always...

Leave the liner alone and get someone to examine the helmet in hand... go to an arms fair and show it to the dealers to get some more opinions, they always look different again in hand. £75 isn't bad - even if it does turn out to be a fake, you would pay more than that for a dodgy one from Spandau Militaria.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Thanks Steve, thats a really good idea, I'll take it to a fair asap...
    I've had a bit more of a closer look, and spotted that there is def 2 coats of paint, the stamp at the back of the skirt looks like 40, and there is some kind of ink mark on the inside of the liner...
    Still no good?!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on helmet please - my first german helmet   Help on helmet please - my first german helmet  

?

..also, slightly unrelated, but the lady that sold me the helmet also threw in this board, no idea what it is, but a good display piece i thought?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on helmet please - my first german helmet  

MAP
    ?

Board appears straight out of Poland (i.e. fake)

For the helmet...if as Real Steel notes, the ET font is bad...then that means the shell is fake and as such by default so is everything else....

A nice side shot of the helmet (i.e. profile) will certainly show if this is a fake shell. It looks suspicious even from the angled shots originally posted.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast