Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

is THIS an honest lid?

Article about: by FranzJon thanks, much appreciated. I would LOVE to know the names of some of these dealers in the US... who can guarantee authenticity and deal online. Even then , check with the forum be

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement is THIS an honest lid?
    P
    Many

Default Re: is THIS an honest lid?

obviously I'm no expert.... but I'm suspicious of the brown/tan paint. It just looks funny like a little too spicy, like artificially aged. And the Hauptm. Bernd, it's in white. Every other helmet I see it's yellow. Is Hauptman shortened to Haupt. or Hauptm.?

Oh and I emailed the Seller and he's in Latvia with the helmet. He claims the helmet is from a local collector who purchased it from the US.

Last edited by FranzJon; 11-28-2010 at 07:21 AM.

?

Not trying to be an a$$hole. But please post photos from the ebay listings to the current thread. Ebay listings go stale very fast and then the thread is useless for reference and or discussion.
    SteveR

?

Looks to me like a artificially aged liner, some very unatural looking scratches around the rim of the liner, therefore if the liner is suspect perhaps the paint work is too, as for the name, this looks asif the writer ran out of room, a common fault with fake names because someone was in a rush to do it, generally anyone who has named a helmet of their own takes a little more time and makes a neater job of it.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Not trying to be an a$$hole. But please post photos from the ebay listings to the current thread. Ebay listings go stale very fast and then the thread is useless for reference and or discussion.
    SteveR
    thanks... updated with pics.

As far as Latvia goes, stay away from there when you are looking for German helmets. I believe that these are both fake. Artificial paint and ageing, black liner, just stay away from these helmets.

Look around on Ebay at other helmets from Latvia and the rest of Eastern Europe. They are all super-rare camos in great condition. They are usually named, too. How do so many perfect camos end up in Latvia? They get made up for sale on Ebay.

Run away!

Both helmets are to be avoided , if you need help from the forum on ebay helmets it's best to avoid ebay altogether. You can bet that the real ones you see there will go up to dealer price.

?

Quote by FranzJon View Post
    And the Hauptm. Bernd, it's in white. Every other helmet I see it's yellow. .
    I have seen hundreds painted in white. Black. I have seen red and blue. Yellow as you say. There was no standard to which soldiers personalized their helmets with but it was almost always in white.

The color of the name is not a problem, but the way it is written is, as well as the liner and the aging on the exterior paint. A few years ago, I would have said it was good, but experience tells me that it is one to be passed up. Unfortunately, many buyers who don't know end up buying these doctored helmets which further encourages fakers to mutilate otherwise good helmets or relic shells.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast