Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

How to estimate helmet size?

Article about: Hi all, I've done some searching on this subject but can't find anything 100% relevant to my questions. I've recently purchased a relic M35 double decal and its quite corroded so I can't mak

Default How to estimate helmet size?

Hi all,

I've done some searching on this subject but can't find anything 100% relevant to my questions.

I've recently purchased a relic M35 double decal and its quite corroded so I can't make out a shell size even after an Oxalic acid bath and a magnifying glass inspection. The seller claimed it was a size 66 and I can't understand how he could have worked that out given it was in far worse shape before I cleaned the majority of the rust off.

I recall reading somewhere that size 66 shells were the most common. Is this correct?

Now I don't have a huge head (I've always taken a small or medium in my motorcycle helmets) so I was wondering why this helmet sits on top of my head like some clowns hat. Is there a method of estimating the shell size by measuring around the exterior or interior of the shell. My lid still has the liner band and remains of the leather inside.

For my next helmet purchase I'd like to get something that fits me so if I can establish the size of my current lid I will be in a better position to make an informed decision.

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to estimate helmet size?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to estimate helmet size?

It's kind of a hard thing to judge without actually having it in hand. My enormous head requires a size 68 shell with a 61 centimeter liner. I know how each size fits on my head so if I had it, I could tell you, but it's hard to judge by just pictures.

?

Take a piece of string or a tape measure, measure around the outside where the three liner pins would sit, that will give you a rough guide as to size, then compare to the nearest size , it should be only one centimetre out either way or less ,the lesser of the two will be the right size, The helmet shells came in six sizes 60, 62, 64, 66, 68, 70. the liners had twelve sizes which corresponded each helmet, ie 60 shell equals 52-53 size liner and so on

Thank you that is good idea,I just did it with one of my shell that I could not find the size well it a 68 looks like.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Hi all,

I've done some searching on this subject but can't find anything 100% relevant to my questions.

I've recently purchased a relic M35 double decal and its quite corroded so I can't make out a shell size even after an Oxalic acid bath and a magnifying glass inspection. The seller claimed it was a size 66 and I can't understand how he could have worked that out given it was in far worse shape before I cleaned the majority of the rust off.

I recall reading somewhere that size 66 shells were the most common. Is this correct?

Now I don't have a huge head (I've always taken a small or medium in my motorcycle helmets) so I was wondering why this helmet sits on top of my head like some clowns hat. Is there a method of estimating the shell size by measuring around the exterior or interior of the shell. My lid still has the liner band and remains of the leather inside.

For my next helmet purchase I'd like to get something that fits me so if I can establish the size of my current lid I will be in a better position to make an informed decision.

Cheers
    Glenn
    size 64 is the most common about 40% of helmets and it goes down from there.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Thank you that is good idea,I just did it with one of my shell that I could not find the size well it a 68 looks like.
    Is that because the measurement you took came out at 68cm? Or did you compare the measurement to a known helmet size?

If anyone has a known 66 I'd appreciate knowing what the crown measurement around the pins comes in at.

Cheers
    Glenn

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Is that because the measurement you took came out at 68cm? Or did you compare the measurement to a known helmet size?

If anyone has a known 66 I'd appreciate knowing what the crown measurement around the pins comes in at.

Cheers
    Glenn
    I did the measurement and it came out at 69 so that would put it at 68 with the info given.
    I do have a NS66 and it came out at 67.
    Chris

OK, cool i'll give that a try, thanks!

I can tell you what I do, I keep a few spare liner bands of different sizes on hand just for that purpose, makes it fairly easy.

Well I ran a tape measure around the helmet last night and it came in at right on 66, with the rotted liner and corrosion of the band theres no way of telling the liner size. I'm just amazed how small it is!

I have a Luft 66 coming to me now so in a week or so i should be able to compare.