Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many helmets are there?

Article about: Doug, you make very good points. I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did with my previous comment, but I agree with you in that it's beneficial to other collectors if they research their he

Default How many helmets are there?

This was just something I was pondering earlier today. How many German helmets were produced during WWII? How many do you think are somewhere safe such as with a dealer, collector, or in a vet's attic? How many do you think are waiting to be found?

I have no idea where to even begin with an estimate so I won't even try and make a fool of myself.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How many helmets are there?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How many helmets are there?

I'd say hundreds or thousands are waiting to be found..

it depends what you mean by original German helmets with just steel not original paint or barley any? (Relics)( i would say 5 to 6 thousand, including one like the dealer has extra)

Original helmets decent shape and original paint with it i would say about a thousand or two. ( vets, vet familiy, dealers, collectors, Some forgotten warehouse )

There are at least 2 million American veterans from world war II that are still alive.

How many will reach the market in year hundred or two. many will be public market (dealer or the Internet)

You also got to consider the collectors that been collecting since the early 50's will probably sell their collection or donate it in the next 10 to 15 years. And ones I have seen are pretty big.

The other day i say pictures of a collector that has about 14 shelves of original German helmets with original paint about 14 on each shelf. Do the math. that allot of money, history, and helmets in one room.

Some were ss, some were DD, some were camo, single, non decal. I never seen more helmets in a one room.

(you think this is accurate?)

?

I know of collectors who have well over 1,000.
    There is lots of stuff in the woodwork however, hundreds are sold on dealer sites each year.

Quote by DougB View Post
    I know of collectors who have well over 1,000.
    There is lots of stuff in the woodwork however, hundreds are sold on dealer sites each year.
    How is that even possible?? That makes me both jealous and amazed. Unless they own some kind of museum, that just sounds excessive. I think 'hoarding' would be more appropriate than 'collecting'. I'd happily help free up some space for them...

Mat

?

Who are we to judge what is excessive? When a collector starts collecting in 1960, 15 years after the war, and still does today it is very possible. A complete database can be built from collections like these furthering our hobby, looking at decal./shell relationships, lot number ranges, production runs, paint changes, camo finishes, etc. When you consider there are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of helmets in private hands today it is far from excessive and in fact collections like these have helped further our knowledge base, which is being shared on fora such as this, to new collectors. Without collections like these to draw from our collecting skills collectively become lessened.

You are 18. Lets say you buy 20 helmets a year for the next 50 years. You love each one of them in its own right, you study each one and as your collection builds you begin to notice patterns in paint color by manufacturer, you notice how they changed from various lot number runs, you notice decal similarities and changes, in other words your own database begins to be assembled. You begin to share your discoveries with other like minded collectors, posting photos, sharing knowledge, and everyone else with the same passions as you benefits.

then you look around when you are 68 and say, Golly Gee Whiz, I have 1000 helmets!!!! That is hoarding? I call that passion of the first degree.

Hoarding is when you have ten tons of crap and dont know the first thing about them.

I agree with doug. we would not have lot of references books if it was not for these collectors. 60's and 70's

(my opinion is price for a German helmet is pretty high, but also good investment.)

I can't wait until I am older and I have a career and a lot more extra money. ALL of my extra money is going towards militaria. : )

By the time I can afford it though, all of the woodwork items will be gone.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I can't wait until I am older and I have a career and a lot more extra money. ALL of my extra money is going towards militaria. : )

By the time I can afford it though, all of the woodwork items will be gone.
    I wouldnt count on it, I think a lot is out there waiting to be discovered. 3rd generation relatives who do not have the personal connection to the veteran who brought the item back will be more inclined to profit by a sale than hold onto it for sentimental reasons and 4th generation relatives will almost sell for sure. that is my feeling anway.

You're right, but then again if they are willing to keep it until the 3rd, 4th, or 5th, generations then it's probably a permanent heirloom by then. I would have a harder time selling something that belonged to my great-great-grandfather as opposed to something that belonged to my grandfather. Maybe that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast