Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to remove paint from a decal

Article about: Don't attempt anything would be my advice. You may make it worse than it is.

Default Re: How to remove paint from a decal

Don't attempt anything would be my advice. You may make it worse than it is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to remove paint from a decal
    P
    Many

?

The question you should be asking yourself is WHY was it overpainted, for what reason, is the decal damaged under that paint, was it done period or post war, ive been restoring helmets for many years and the one thing ive never used is Brasso, if it even gets near the other parts of the decal and it will, because you cant be that accurate and it seeps,you will no doubt affect the other colours plus if there is damage underneath it will show up like a sore thumb also the edges of the helmet colour will look newer because its acting as a type of "T-CUT" . In this instance i would leave well alone especially if your not experienced in helmet restoration, Brasso is very useful on items that need cleaning, like metal and it will clean other items but it certainly isnt kind to decals

" ive been restoring helmets for many years and the one thing ive never used is Brasso, if it even gets near the other parts of the decal and it will, because you cant be that accurate and it seeps, also the edges of the helmet colour will look newer because its acting as a type of "T-CUT" .
    Brasso is very useful on items that need cleaning, like metal and it will clean other items but it certainly isnt kind to decals"

Like you said Dave.....you've never used it for this purpose!
    It does, (as you imagined) act like T-cut on paint (which is the whole point of it at the end of the day).....and if you don't want the surrounding areas affected you use a bit of grey matter and masking tape (didn't mention it as I wouldn't imagine anybody would try it without).
    I HAVE used it for this purpose many times and it works very well.
    IF any seeps under the tape (it's only the manual action that actually affects the paint finish) it's easily neutralised with a mild soap/water solution.

cigarette lighter fluid (naphta) removes paint
    use a Q-Tip with a tiny amount and wipe away
    it leaves no residue.

Huh...........never heard of this one before - good tip........I'll try that next time!

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I stripped a post-war black painted SD Heer M40 once. I pretty much destroyed the decal in the process, due to my amateur approach to it. I have never forgiven myself for it.
    Everyone has done something they regret in collecting. I feel same way with one of my items.

?

Davies435, When i say ive never used Brasso and then go on to say the reasons why, its not from inexperience, the person who taught me about helmet restoration and many other types of restoring was my father who used Brasso throughout the war and after for many applications, but you conveniently omitted my first paragraph, why was it painted in the first place, also there is no clear indication if it was period or post war applied, another important factor is whether our friend has experience in restoration especially helmets, if he hasnt and it goes wrong the helmets ruined, it is still my opinion that it should be left alone because it has its own patina and to remove it would change that appearance, but at the end of the day it will be left up to the owner to make that decision, regards Dave

done with a clean 1/8" wide modeling brush and a lint free paper towel
    Naptha ( Zippo Cigarette Lighter Fluid ) A Q-tip is the preferred method evaporates extremely fast and leaves absolutely no residue
    it will not disrupt the Paint or Decal/Insignia on the helmet

be careful not to use on the chinstrap or liner
    as it will dry out leather rapidly.

?

I agree with Frank but if you must send it to Bill Maertz. He has removed postwar paint from 3 helmets I have found over the past few years. He is very good at this and not expensive.

?

Well I can see that this thread has started quite a stir and there seems to be many methods that members have tried to remove paint from decals on helmets some which some members claim that work quite well . And some other members have tried with disaster's results I do not believe at this time I would try any of the above mentioned ideals on any Third Reich helmet that bares a decal . Iam willing to try it thoe on an old Canadian Helmet shell That I purchased at a garage sale many years ago and has been overpainted with a dark green gloss paint . As I have tomorrow of from work I think I will experiment a little as I do have brasso,whitegas,acetone,and lighter fluid here at home I will take some before and after photos of said experiment and post them back here for all to see.

Regards Mark K

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast