Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I can´t identify this helmet paint

Article about: I recently got a black german M40 helmet used in the WWII. I was removing some of the rust inside and when some of it removed I found out, it has like a very soft green paint under the origi

Default I can´t identify this helmet paint

I recently got a black german M40 helmet used in the WWII.
    I was removing some of the rust inside and when some of it removed I found out, it has like a very soft green paint under the original black one.
    I would like if someone could help me to know what it is.

Thanks and regards, Andy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I can´t identify this helmet paint
    P
    Many

Andy,

For more responses you're going to need to take better pictures of the entire helmet.. Put it in better context for us all.. If you hadn't told us in the description it was a helmet, I wouldn't have had any idea what I was looking at...

Help us help you with more photos of the entire helmet...Can't judge by these photos alone

Best regards

Smitty

Hi Smitty, i am just asking about the paint i discovered under the original black paint, so i didn´t really think any more pictures were needed, but anyways, later i will try to send some more of the whole helmet.

Thanks for your reply, Andy.

So these are some of the pictures of my german Stahlhelm M40 (I´m not 100% sure it is a M40)

Here you can see what I was talking about, after removing some rust from inside, I found some kind of greenish paint under the original one.

?

I can't help with the paint,
    Looking at it from the inside of the helmet, that looks like a M35 air vent. Where the M40 it would have been stamped into the helmet form. On M35's, it is a separate piece and added to the helmet.
    Is the vent missing on the other side?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hello Phil,

the air vents are stamped into the helmet, the only thing missing are the rivets that hold the liner of the helmet, the ones in the front and in the back.
    but it is true that the helmet is in such a bad condition that you can hardly see the air vents.

This from the inside, you can see the air vent and the missing rivet

here outside

Can you possibly take some clear photos of the vents from the inside of the shell so that we can ascertain if it is an M35 or 40. If an M35, the greenish paint might likely be the remains of the original green paint as would have been applied when it was made. On the back of the shell I can see another area where there is green showing through.

Are you able to see a manufacturers code or lot number in the rear skirt?

Andy

Must have posted while you were posting your images. So it is an M40 which rules out the Apple green paint. Perhaps painted post war and now simply lifting? The paint on the outside doesn’t look recent.

Andy

?

The pic's made it look like a rolled edge on the inside,
    So if stamped, It's a 40!
    Thanks for the additional pic's.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Well, sadly i can´t see a manufacturers code or the lot number since unfortunatelly these parts of the helmet are extremelly rusty.
    So if i can get some recommendation on the paint, should i juts leave it like it is, remove the paint, or repaint it?

Thanks for the answers, Andy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast