MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identifying German (?) Helmet

Article about: Wow thanks everyone for the quick replies! I've had a look at the Bundesgrenzschutz helmets and they do look very similar, but can't find any with the vent holes to the sides. I will post ex

Default Identifying German (?) Helmet

Hello everyone, new here so thanks in advance any of your help.

I have a helmet which I am trying to identify. It looks to be German, but I cannot easily match it up to any of the well documented types or shapes. I would be grateful if any of you knowledgeable folks could take a look and offer any advice/ideas as to what it is.

There are no decals on the helmet, although there appears to be some white paper-type residue near to the front. It also appears to have the full liner and chin strap remaining intact - though whether they are original or not I guess I would need advice on. One suggestion was it was possibly German made but for the Spanish, though whether this holds any truth I am not sure. It certainly looks to have a bit of age, a bit of paint flaking here and there and also some ageing to the leather (although I realise all of this can be simulated!) What worries me is this weird type of residue which almost sits on the surface of the helmet, it looks as if it should be sticky but it's not. There is very much a textured feel to the overall exterior of the helmet.

I will attach some images and eagerly await any advice you can offer.

Thanks very much,
    Caroline

Identifying German (?) HelmetIdentifying German (?) HelmetIdentifying German (?) HelmetIdentifying German (?) HelmetIdentifying German (?) HelmetIdentifying German (?) Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying German (?) Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identifying German (?) Helmet

I think this is a post war German helmet, possibly of the type issued to Border guards.

I have just found it in my reference book its a German model 1953 Bundesgrenzschutz helmet, used by West German Border Guards in the 1950's and 60's. You will get matches if you type 'Bundesgrenzschutz helmet' into Google image search.

Welcome to the forum.

Post-war 100%

?

The pics are dark but the stamp looks like one I've seen on a post war issue. If I remember the rivet holes for the liner aren't like the originals, or the rear one is gone.. I cant remember, but i know its a post war made one.the one i had was riddled with bullet holes and i got it for a conversation piece at the time. its long since gone.Can you post better images?

-Edit-
    I forgot to say," welcome!".

Do you get fake border guards helmets, or do you think its not a border guards helmet?

Post war
    chris

not fake but post-war - center mount liner - no side rivets - only vent holes

?

That's it, It's been a few years since I had one. So it's not a repro, then. What's the era?
    Also, I remember mine had swivel bales.

Please see my first post.

?

Ahh, thanks, I missed that, my bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast