Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying helmets

Article about: It may well have been posted somewhere on this forum but what I'd like to know is how to find out what the stamped numbers mean. Is there a chart that states the yr. lot,where and when a par

Default Identifying helmets

It may well have been posted somewhere on this forum but what I'd like to know is how to find out what the stamped numbers mean. Is there a chart that states the yr. lot,where and when a particular helmet was made? I have a couple and am curious. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying helmets
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Identifying helmets

There is not an established list, to my knowledge, just some people collecting information.

Could you post your information here in this format?

M40 Q66 DN312 SD HEER

M42 CKL64 5148 ND

M35 ET64 4012 DD HEER

thanks.

Quote by Brian View Post
    There is not an established list, to my knowledge, just some people collecting information.

Could you post your information here in this format?

M40 Q66 DN312 SD HEER

M42 CKL64 5148 ND

M35 ET64 4012 DD HEER

thanks.
    I don't have any info but I was hoping with all those helmet collectors there might be some who would know. Sound logical?

Hello,
    the letters (1, 2 or 3) followed by a number like 60, 62, 64, 66 or 68 are the maker and the size of the shell. ex : Q64 for Quist size 64
    the other number generally found at the rear of the helmet, on the inside rim is the batch number. ex : 76, 365, 7634 or 12453
    the year of manufacture is stamped on the liner band

the helmets shells came in various sizes from 60 to 68 or even 70 in some rare case. Each shell fits two sizes of liner. ex : in a shell size 64 you can have two sizes of liners, 56 and 57 cm, shell 66 : 58 and 59..etc...

there is a lot to say about german steel helmets....i hope this little post will help you out....
    if you post a pic with an info like the letters, i'll be able to tell you the type of helmet : M35, M40, M42 or 43 (no decal) and the maker...
    thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hey gang....Brian has been researching these numbers and values now for a number of years.....if anyone would know their meaning - it would be him. I think the only known info on these is that the DN numbers were only used late war....and perhaps only on Quist shells? Not 100% on that info though - Bri? Confirmation?
    Cheers!

Rob

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    the letters (1, 2 or 3) followed by a number like 60, 62, 64, 66 or 68 are the maker and the size of the shell. ex : Q64 for Quist size 64
    the other number generally found at the rear of the helmet, on the inside rim is the batch number. ex : 76, 365, 7634 or 12453
    the year of manufacture is stamped on the liner band

the helmets shells came in various sizes from 60 to 68 or even 70 in some rare case. Each shell fits two sizes of liner. ex : in a shell size 64 you can have two sizes of liners, 56 and 57 cm, shell 66 : 58 and 59..etc...

there is a lot to say about german steel helmets....i hope this little post will help you out....
    if you post a pic with an info like the letters, i'll be able to tell you the type of helmet : M35, M40, M42 or 43 (no decal) and the maker...
    thanks
    Thanks! I wrote them down.