Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If it looks too new, it must be fake?

Article about: As of late, just as many times in the past, I've heard collectors alike state an item was a copy:reproduction due to it being in near perfect condition, or as they say, "looking too new

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    that explains its condition.
    Indeed it does, but the point remains, new-like condition doesn't equal reproduction.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

It's a total screamer this one, I saw it myself recently browsing dealers, but I can't remember where it was. It looks very new but it does stand up on it's own too. All the components are one looker beauties of originals.

I don't think it was actually a dealer now that I recall.
    Last edited by KradSpam; 09-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    It's a total screamer this one, I saw it myself recently browsing dealers, but I can't remember where it was. It looks very new but it does stand up on it's own too. All the components are one looker beauties of originals.

I don't think it was actually a dealer now that I recall.
    No, it was not a dealer.

Many pieces in fine condition were picked up in collections in the 1950's and 1960's. They were cared for and not mistreated by the vet's kids. Pristeen condition is never a reason to avoid obtaining a piece. Construction and natural aging can never be duplicated.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Could haven't been said better Youthcollector that is the mistake a lot of collectors make on mint items such as the helmet. Too often on here I hear "Must be a repo look too new" here while back I posted and said there are original items that look new and there are fake items that look old not a good formula to go by. You have to look at the source and item. I once passed up a totally mint KS98 still with the lacquer on it as looking too new. Fantatic helmet BTW. Mint! timothy

Here's one I found for sale a while back. I can't remember the price, but what a helmet...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030678.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	569850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030679.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	569849  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P10306691.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	569851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N_S_K_K%20071.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	569852  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Int_2%20053.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	569853  

I quite like the that helmet ObKrieger. Thank you for posting it.
    It's another example that looks as if it was made today, yet with a hint of natural aging, such as Bob pointed out. I personally find natural aging has a certain beauty about it. One in which, thankfully, is not easily faked, nor done to perfection. A great tool for collectors to look for when attempting to authenticate an item.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 09-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.

The 'looks too new' comment often seems to come from new or inexperienced members who want to say something but have nothing really constructive to say.

The pessimist in me wonders if said commentators are also in the market for 'post padding' in order to build up a healthy post count and thereby gain 'forum cred'.

The optimist in me hopes they are merely over enthusiastic and want only to share their opinion.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The 'looks too new' comment often seems to come from new or inexperienced members who want to say something but have nothing really constructive to say.

The pessimist in me wonders if said commentators are also in the market for 'post padding' in order to build up a healthy post count and thereby gain 'forum cred'.

The optimist in me hopes they are merely over enthusiastic and want only to share their opinion.
    \

Very true Glenn if they get shot down on that then they will try to explain it away as something post war and that is why it is "new looking" comments like some one put a new liner in it or it looks too red must be Norweign or somebody painted it after the war it get's amazing what you see. I think a lot of them just make a theory up as they go. timothy

the feldgrau looks very close to this new manufactured feldgrau
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	570160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feldgrau.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	570161  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast