Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet

Article about: I own, what I believe to be, a genuine M40 and would like to become more knowledgeable about it w/ this board's help. From what I've determined through my own digging, it is an M40, w/ a Q64

?

Default I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet

I own, what I believe to be, a genuine M40 and would like to become more knowledgeable about it w/ this board's help.
    From what I've determined through my own digging, it is an M40, w/ a Q64 designation. Made by Quist in Esslingen, pre '43. The marking is on the left skirt, not the rear, and is a 64cm size lid. There is no liner. From there, I know nothing more.
    The helmet has bullet damage but I can only assume it's post war plinking. The rounds did not penetrate and, from their placement, could not have occurred while someone was wearing it in combat. Does the damage look like .22LR rounds? Not that it matters, but I don't know what caliber weapon it would take to penetrate the steel.
    The background on this helmet is a bit odd. As a kid in Tuscaloosa, AL, my brothers and I would roam the neighborhoods seeking adventure. It was a safe, non threatening activity back in 1958. A few lots up from our house was a 2 story apartment building w/ large shrubs planted out front. At one corner, we found this helmet half buried in the dirt under one of these bushes. We took it home and for awhile, my brother let a pigeon nest in it. Until recently, the pigeon droppings were still inside the dome of this lid, kind of calcified. I recently cleaned it out and started my search on it's history.
    I ended up here.
    If there is anything someone could ad to its origins, I would appreciate it.
    Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet   I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet  

I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet   I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I'm not a collector but own a WWII German helmet
    P
    Many

looks like kids taking pot shots with a .22 -- lucky for you they missed the decal!

?

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Apart from the decal being intact, does having only one decal vs. two, have any significance as to rarity or value?

MAP
    ?

Single decals are the norm for M40 Heer helmets. Double decal M40 heer helmets are extremely rare.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

single decal helmets are far more common than double decal Heer helmets. Welcome to the forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    single decal helmets are far more common than double decal Heer helmets. Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks.
    Is there a database in existence where I could look up the serial number and get more information?
    Ludicrous, probably, but I had to ask.

There is a book by Brian Ice (former member) "German Helmet Lot Numbers" and is always in revision - but I have to say that helmets do not talk

MAP
    ?

The serial number you mention is actually the Lot (or batch) number. It designated the production run of that specific batch of steel that was used. If you had a unique or rare helmet Brian's research could help determine if other similar recorded helmets were made in that production run (the research is just a compilation of known original helmets and the individual characteristics of them ( i.e. decal type, size, etc.). For your helmet, I don't think it will provide anything more than what you know already. A single decal Q64 M40. A common helmet in a common size and configuration.

That said. What is the lot number (located on the inside rear of the helmet)

Btw...nice story on how you found it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Shame about the target practice, looks like a nice lid otherwise. No great rarity or value, just a good, honest example.

Pot shots or not, I think you have a nice collectible there.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast