Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

interesting dilemma

Article about: so this guy just opened a shop near where i live. hes got a lot of stuff but he doesnt seem very knowledgable about most of it. among his german helmets he has an obviously fake normandy tri

Default interesting dilemma

so this guy just opened a shop near where i live. hes got a lot of stuff but he doesnt seem very knowledgable about most of it. among his german helmets he has an obviously fake normandy tri-camo with a cheap SS-RZM chinstrap and an obviously fake SS afrika camo. how do i tell him that they are fake without damaging our potential customer-dealer relationship?

i dont want to start an argument with him, lol i hate confrontation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement interesting dilemma
    P
    Many

Default Re: interesting dilemma

Give it to him straight, if he's a decent guy he would be glad of finding out that the helmet he has is a fake. If anything he'll respect the fact that you know more about the subject than him

Thanks

Danny

?

Be straight with him. You could just raise it in conversation, with something along the lines of, you do realise that this helmets a fake/false/wrong etc.
    If hes a decent guy and you dont get bolshy with him, he will, hopefully take it the right way and possibly even thank you for pointing it out to him.

Is he selling the fakes as original pieces, at prices originals should be selling for ?

I'd let him know too, as Danny and Jimpy say..... Loan him a couple of books
    and let him see for himself.

It sounds like he has no retail experience in selling militaria - like a hobbyist/collector
    who just decides to open a store. I've seen it happen where a fellow sat and waited
    for the goodies to arrive - It doesn't work that way very well unless you have a
    strongly respected and established name in the collector community, and tons
    of cash, because there will be dreadfully thin months at times. I know one
    collector who went there and paid just $350 for a rare $3,000 item.
    That would have kept the shop open for another 3 months.

This can be very bad for him, as some folks are going to get ripped off,
    while others will walk away with killer once-in-a-lifetime deals !
    You could sit in there and wait for killer deals yourself, but if you are a decent guy,
    your conscience will make you tell him what he's doing wrong !

( I spent/wasted 15 years of my life in retail sales and over 30 years collecting militaria )

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-17-2010 at 12:46 AM.

?

I have had the same thing with a dealer near me, he takes it bad when i tell him that things are bad but i still tell him i went in yesterday and he had a matching tk and eagle set for sale but i have since found out they are both fakes so today i will be telling him, rgds Dave