Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting German helmet

Article about: i say strip this baby! ;-)wo knows the coulor of the liiner does look a bit like scandinavian are there any stamps on the leather? even dough a ver nice helmet

Default Interesting German helmet

I purchased this helmet from a well-known shop in London just a few days ago. It was advertised as being... 'Post war German Police helmet, similar in style to the wartime M42. A good cheap helmet for those on a tight budget.'

I wasn't aware that the Germans made a post war copy of the M42, so with it being fairly cheap (£98) I took the plunge. After it arrived this morning I gave it a good examination. On the left of the skirt is stamped... ET62, and at the rear is batch number... 2402, although the middle two numbers are a hard to read to be sure.

There is no pitting to the shell, and the post-war liner and chinstrap are in fine condition. Where there are scratches to the paintwork can be seen another colour which looks like Luftwaffe blue. I am agonising over whether to leave 'as is' - or strip it back to see what lies underneath.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting German helmet   Interesting German helmet  

Interesting German helmet   Interesting German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting German helmet
    P
    Many

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Interesting German helmet

Nice find!!!!!!

Reg

Hello Steve.Its got to be a war time M42 with a post war re spray hasn't it? Its a nice looking helmet whatever it is. I quite like the thick post war chin strap. Would be tempting to see what's going on underneath that paint though... Tough choice.

?

Nice helm...Strip it...what do you have to lose?....

Id have to say..strip it down a coat

Must be wartime ,dint et become ckl late war?

Hey, its not exactly cheap, its about 150euros mate, but i agree wih the posts above, remove the paint, im curious to see whats underneath. if you decide to do it, good luck.
    Best regards
    Nuno

?

Go on you know you want to, your just itching to to it, your fingers and your palms are getting sweaty, the stripper is in the cupboard sitting there waiting, whats stopping you hmmmm

ian
    ?

i agree go for the strip ,its got to be a war time re used lid , so there could be anything under there ,mabe a single ss decal who knows , whats ti lose ,cheers ian

Hi Steve.

Good to see what you got!

Well without wishing to paraphrase,............ strip it.

Sounds like, WW2 issue with the stampings, so super bargain!!!

Have you ever tried oven cleaner, this is a fairly gentle way of stripping,off the old post-war paint?

Well if you do decide to take the plunge,and strip it,I'd be keen to see the results, I've just restored an M1 ( which I posted today) and can honestly say,was a interesting experience,as I found some Rank markings, so you never know what's lurking under that post-war paint..........it could have been autographed by "Der Reich Chancellor" himself.........well,ok maybe not,but you never know!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast