Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.

Article about: I have found this website, which seems to have a translated copy of a Luftwaffe directive # 422. It describes the new M35 helmet (Stahlhelm 35) and details of regulations surrounding it. The

Default Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.

I have found this website, which seems to have a translated copy of a Luftwaffe directive # 422. It describes the new M35 helmet (Stahlhelm 35) and details of regulations surrounding it. The whole thing is worth a read but particularly section B/5;

"If the chinstrap is not worn under the chin, it is to be placed around the top of the visor."

German Helmet Shell and Liner Sizes

Discuss

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.

Ken N claims this chinstrap over visor was started by American collectors. I've stopped this practice because straps get damaged displaying them this way.

I fully agree Doug, I won't do it unless it has clearly been that way for years and the leather is now set and comfortable in that position. There is often debate about whether this was done during the war, and if so whether it was strictly allowed. The link I found there seems to show it was actually a regulation method of keeping the strap out of the way, at least for Luftwaffe troops.

Had you heard of this Luft directive 422 before? It's a nice detailed contemporary run down of everything lid related. The gold decals for Generals etc is interesting. I had always thought that to be myth, excluding those gold Luft decals you see rarely on the helmets for crashed aircraft recovery on airfields (or so I understood).

?

I have heard of this but not specifically that directive so that is really interesting I find. I think period photos would be the best indicator and I am sure troops did this in the field despite regulations promoting it or not. I am wracking my brain trying to think of some period photos of the strap being worn in this way, maybe someone has some they would like to share?

This one comes to mind, I bet you've seen it before too knowing your particular vices The weary Bulge SS trooper.

They are rare but pics are out there.

Didn't we recently have a thread on this?

Anyway, I have seen a few original photos of this practice, including the one that you just posted. I have a 'if it can be done, then it WAS done' policy when it comes to collecting so I don't see anything wrong with it other than the fact that it might damage chinstraps. However if a helmet was found that way, and the chinstrap is comfortable the way it was, then I would leave it like that.

It's not like I can afford enough helmets to be concerned about it anyway. All but one of my helmets came to me chinstrapless.

Here is couple i found for the thread.

The guy with straw grass in his mouth has it over.

Sorry krad if i reposted your photo, i cant see yours for some reason
    Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.Interesting info on 'chinstrap over visor' debate.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    This one comes to mind, I bet you've seen it before too knowing your particular vices The weary Bulge SS trooper.

They are rare but pics are out there.
    Hi the pic isn't coming through but I know the one you posted I bet!

EDIT- ok I see the photo now, yes that is a classic isnt it!
    Last edited by DougB; 03-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Photo of German soldier taken in Stalingrad. The sculpture is a Third Reich one. Finally, my M40 with the strap over the visor, its been like that so long that the strap is contoured to that shape now. So I guess there is no right or wrong way to display straps, just your own preference and the condition of the strap.

Al

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Didn't we recently have a thread on this?

Anyway, I have seen a few original photos of this practice, including the one that you just posted. I have a 'if it can be done, then it WAS done' policy when it comes to collecting so I don't see anything wrong with it other than the fact that it might damage chinstraps. However if a helmet was found that way, and the chinstrap is comfortable the way it was, then I would leave it like that.

It's not like I can afford enough helmets to be concerned about it anyway. All but one of my helmets came to me chinstrapless.
    You are right we recently had a topic on this, I only made this thread because directive 422 seemed to shed new light on the subject. I always thought it was done on a small scale (% of pics with them wearing it like this is tiny), but while the Leutnant wasn't looking. 422 seems to say it was a regulation (again, at least for Luft grunts).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast