Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kriegsmarine decal ?

Article about: i have several helmets that i beleive are Kriegsmarine. i think that i finaly figured out the difference. the Kriegsmarine decal under a loop glass has gold leaf and the border is all around

Default Re: Kriegsmarine decal ?

I'd call it respect Jacob, not "suck up"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I'd call it respect Jacob, not "suck up"
    i know thats why i said just kidding at the end

hope you didnt get angry

no mate, not at all

thanks doug thats great info. did you notice it seems like the herr decals shadow seems to be backwards on the silver heer decals than it is on the gold tint ones? or am i missing something? i have checked all my helmets and this seems to be a pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Asper
    ?

The first photo appears to make it toned Heer - but the shot has flash or a light source reflecting off it. The only way of being sure is to take a shot outdoors with proper natural light - that will make it easy to call it.

Cheers,

Asper

?

Quote by Asper View Post
    The first photo appears to make it toned Heer - but the shot has flash or a light source reflecting off it. The only way of being sure is to take a shot outdoors with proper natural light - that will make it easy to call it.

Cheers,

Asper
    Hey Asper! Nice to see you here as well! Lots of Canadians here, that is a nice touch! As for Asper's comment he is bang on, the gold layering will be obvious outdoors if it is truly a KM, or like I did take a slightly off angle pic with a flash bounce to expose the layering as you can see above.

Taken through a loupe the contrast is off, however even with John's adjusting the contrast, there does not appear to be the fine layering of the gold. A well toned Heer decal can really fool those that have not had a true KM in hand.

I have several helmets with nicely toned Heer decals and several one looker KM's, and under 400x magnification you can really see the difference in the gold layering vs. toning of the pulver due to lacquer on a Heer decal. When my home PC where my photos reside, I will post up some magnified pics as well as some comparisons of the two.

As for the question regarding the shadowing on the decal, those are two different decal manufacturers being compared, the parade helmet I believe is the early version of the Heer decal found on transitionals, Q's, SE and M34's as in the example posted above, the "KM" or toned Heer decal being I believe an ET as commonly found on KM's. You can see other differences as well if you look close.

Cheers
    Doug

I don't see all the detail that would make me think it's a KM .
    There are a lot of Heer decals with differences in the making , the one you posted is a HJ&K , you can find it on a lot of helmets depending the time frame and type but sadly is often added post war too !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12