Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"

Article about: This was my second arrival this week, an ebay find. It was described as a "Vintage U.S. Military Helmet." There was one blurry picture, which obviously was of an M42. I decided to

Default Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"

This was my second arrival this week, an ebay find. It was described as a "Vintage U.S. Military Helmet." There was one blurry picture, which obviously was of an M42. I decided to take a chance, put in a bid, and won. When it arrived I discovered that the maker/size stamp was "_vL64", according to Ken Niewiarowicz, the "unknown sixth maker". According to Ken N. this maker is identified by a "qvL" or "bvL" stamp, the shells have lot numbers in the 5000 range, and have ink acceptance stamps identical to those found in Ckl shells from 1943-1944. On this piece, the first letter of the maker stamp was either a very light strike of simply not done, but the 2nd and 3rd letters are clearly "v" and "L". The ink dome stamp is identical to those on Ckl shells, and the lot number is 5734. The liner band and leather are both dated 1944. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"   Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"  

Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"   Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"  

Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"   Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"

Nice no decal mdl 42. A good one for any collection.
    SteveR

?

Hi Jim, nice looking lid and i assume its a rare one, is it me or are those liner pins larger than normal and the liner itself poorly cut in places, i presume its because the quality of materials were suffering towards the end of the war

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    This was my second arrival this week, an ebay find. It was described as a "Vintage U.S. Military Helmet." There was one blurry picture, which obviously was of an M42. I decided to take a chance, put in a bid, and won. When it arrived I discovered that the maker/size stamp was "_vL64", according to Ken Niewiarowicz, the "unknown sixth maker". According to Ken N. this maker is identified by a "qvL" or "bvL" stamp, the shells have lot numbers in the 5000 range, and have ink acceptance stamps identical to those found in Ckl shells from 1943-1944. On this piece, the first letter of the maker stamp was either a very light strike of simply not done, but the 2nd and 3rd letters are clearly "v" and "L". The ink dome stamp is identical to those on Ckl shells, and the lot number is 5734. The liner band and leather are both dated 1944. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Hi Jim,

Regarding the stamp, i am aware of 3 other factories that MAY have used it or something similar.

They are :- qvl = Karl Heisler, Berlin.

bvl = Bergmann & Co., Th. Abt. Automaten-und Metallwaren Fabrikation,
    Hamburg, Altonao.

There is thought to be one more factory that produced shells in occupied Czechoslovakia. The name is currently unknown. Shells from this factory are apparently marked qvi or bvi.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, the only information I have about these is what is in the 3 or 4 paragraphs in the Niewiarowicz book. Dave, the pictures are a bit deceiving, the heads of the split pins are standard size, and the liner is actually fairly well made. Cheers, Jim G.

?

A real treat to see these. Ckl stamps are identical perhaps a sub-plant of ET. Nice Jim!

Hi Guys, Here are side by side shots of the vL64 helmet next to a Ckl 62, lot # 4400. on the left. They are very similar in shape, and the color and texture of the paint are virtually identical. One difference is the location of the stamped vents. On the smaller Ckl 62 the vents are 2 1/4 inches from the split pins, on the larger vL64, they are only 1 1/2 inches form the pins. The Ckl does not have an ink dome acceptance stamp. I thought a side by side might be interesting to see. By the way, the Ckl probably had a net at one time, the string on the bales was there when I bought the helmet in a junk shop in 1990. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"   Late War No Decal M42 - Unknown Maker - "_vL64"  

?

Are the stamps the same Jim?

Hi Doug, There is no visible ink acceptance stamp in the Ckl shell. Jim G.