Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Latvian M 16 helmet

Article about: Here is a rare M 16 Latvian, that is not a German, or a early German, which I have never seen, exclude the Latvian one. Firstly for comparition is Estonian M18, standard re-issue of a German

?

Default Latvian M 16 helmet

Here is a rare M 16 Latvian, that is not a German, or a early German, which I have never seen, exclude the Latvian one.
    Firstly for comparition is Estonian M18, standard re-issue of a German helmet. Both helmets is 66 in size. (Latvian helmet still has vent horns as for size 64), Back neck guard appron on the Latvian helmet is more round by shape, and more solid by steel. All the rivets and chinstrap fastenings are red cooper made. Unfortunately that helmet has no liner, but it must be like a french M 15 Adrian type, and has sizes. Also the Latvian helmet is lower than a German
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latvian M 16 helmet   Latvian M 16 helmet  

Latvian M 16 helmet   Latvian M 16 helmet  

Latvian M 16 helmet  
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Latvian M 16 helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Latvian M 16 helmet

rare helmet for sure.
    Were they actually made in Latvia? and in what period? I suppose somewhere in the late '20 or early'30 s?

The rivet holes are a lot smaler then the German ones also. I have one with metal rivets? is that possible, or could mine be a reissue?

ivan

?

I think I've deal a couple of them with your father about 15 years ago, but I think they are contract helmets, and not made in Latvia. I have some thoughts that they was made by Berndorf factories, as a lot of Austrian reissue was met in Latvia too, with it's orig brownish color
    Ivan, do you have the pictures?
    Cheers,
    Dimas

Quote by langemarck View Post
    rare helmet for sure.
    Were they actually made in Latvia? and in what period? I suppose somewhere in the late '20 or early'30 s?

The rivet holes are a lot smaler then the German ones also. I have one with metal rivets? is that possible, or could mine be a reissue?

ivan
    Regards,
    Dimas

here are a few pics Dimas.
    Can you tell me a bit more about it? Paint, chinstrap bolts? liner? Period?

cheers Ivan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latvian M 16 helmet   Latvian M 16 helmet  

Latvian M 16 helmet  

?

To me it looks like a Estonian WW2 re-issue.
    Firstly as I remember the helmet was came from Estonia, and that was approx a 20 years ago ( I still remember it )
    The Latvian helmets was used in the battles of 1941 year in Estonia, and that kind of helmets was used by Latvian Red Militia. After they was destroyed, all their helmets etc, was collected from a fields and in the same year re-issued by Estonian selfdefence troops, as Estonian helmets and Soviet helmets as well. Most of the Estonian helmets in pre war time has a selfmade liners, as most of the has been damaged due of hard use till the 1940 year. As probably you seen my MK I, and I think M16 German and Russian M 17, and if I right remember which was traded with your father.
    Latvian standard liners are the same as on M 15 Latvian Adrian type helmets ( and they are similar to Adrian liner, but made more solid.
    Thank you for showing this nice example.
    Regards,
    Dimas

thanks for the info, it's been so long ago you know.
    there are still a few helmets with questions, maybe i'll post them later.
    here's another one, I believe this is a German reissue for the Latvian army? Latvian paint, liner and strap?
    cheers Ivan

Latvian M 16 helmet  

?

You are sure! You are lucky as they are migrate to your collection, today they are too scarce to find, and even I'am looking for one of that kind- can't find.
    Regards,
    Dimas