Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

leave as is, or clean?

Article about: greetings all, I am not a collector per se, but I do have a few small family items. One non family piece I purchased was a ground dug helmet. (just wanted one) I purchased it in 2002 and it

?

Default leave as is, or clean?

greetings all, I am not a collector per se, but I do have a few small family items. One non family piece I purchased was a ground dug helmet. (just wanted one) I purchased it in 2002 and it has sat in a case. From looking at recent threads on here, I am wondering if i should attempt to clean it, or leave as is. You can see there is quite a bit of surviving paint....opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement leave as is, or clean?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: leave as is, or clean?

An oxaclic acid bath would help it a lot.
    Welcome to the forum.

It depends on what you are hoping to achieve by cleaning. Personally, i would think, as it's a Dug Relic, that since there isn't any real way to restore or do much with it, that I would probably leave it as it is. Otherwise, you will lose the "dug look" and end up with something that's halfway between a Relic and a Rebuild.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

It looks as if there are very thin points on the helmet, which may , if cleaned with any type of corrosive, become more fragile, that will ruin the look of this piece, its survived this long in its present state therefore i would suggest leaving well alone

Ditto - It is a fine looking relic and I too suggest you leave it be.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

mpw
    ?

Agree with the above. I have one very similar but did find the tiny particles of rust that fall from inside over time make a mess. This I stopped by giving the inside a light coating of hair spray.

Mark.

?

Yes, leave as is. A restoration would have to be 90% so not worth it in my opinion. A clear coat would help. You can find a nice restoration piece for around $65-$80.

?

So wait, how much would a shell like that, but worth restoring, be worth before and after restoration (assuming it's done well.)?

On Topic: I rather like it as it is, I'd say keep it.

Nitram

?

Leave as it. It tells a story better this way.

JMM
    ?

Quote by vbk76 View Post
    greetings all, I am not a collector per se, but I do have a few small family items. One non family piece I purchased was a ground dug helmet. (just wanted one) I purchased it in 2002 and it has sat in a case. From looking at recent threads on here, I am wondering if i should attempt to clean it, or leave as is. You can see there is quite a bit of surviving paint....opinions?

It's a Dug Relic and IMMO should be left as it is