Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Legit reissued helmets with replaced liner vs. helmets that have been tempered with

Article about: Hi, As a novice helmet collector I hope you don't mind me asking a stupid/off-base question: How to tell the difference between legit reissued helmets during the war and those that have been

Default Re: Legit reissued helmets with replaced liner vs. helmets that have been tempered with

Quote by Koguryo9 View Post
    Hi,

As a novice helmet collector I hope you don't mind me asking a stupid/off-base question: How to tell the difference between legit reissued helmets during the war and those that have been tempered with by collectors and dealers? By "ressiued helmets" here, I am NOT talking about those reissued helmets that were repainted and had new decals applied, I am only referring to those helmets that have had the liner replaced/changed out, by either the soldiers, field depots or the factories.

When I see rivets having a different color/feel from the rest of the helmet in terms of color/paint scheme/surface texture etc., am I safe to assume that the liner might have been replaced at one point? And if this assumption is correct (for the most part), how can you tell that the liner was replaced by someone during the war or it was "tempered with" by dealers and collectors post-war?

I am asking this question partly because I learned that many folks in the German helmet collecting community seem to shun those helmets with a replaced liner. If certain criteria/rule of thumb can be established regarding legit reissued helmets with replaced liner, I don't see why people should shun them.

Sorry for my babbling, I look forward to learning from all of you.
    Collectors shun helmets with liners they think that are post war replaced. Always look for indicators that this may have happened , double bents in the rivet legs , mismatch with the exterior , post war painted rivets , rivet wear.
    If well done a post war replaced liner can be undetectable unfortunately.

Studying period paint colors is a very important aspect because paint color mismatches between rivets and shell is pretty common with original helmets. (most obvious with Luftwaffe and M35 KM helmets) Rivets were painted seperately and are of a different composition than the steel shell.

You'll find more exceptions listed in this topic on GHW2 , post #4 http://www.walhalla.se/topic/569-the...updated-92010/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12