Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Liner query

Article about: According to the size marking the leather is a late war production in any case...

?

Default Liner query

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate your thoughts on this liner please. I found it at a car boot sale about a year ago and paid £20 for it. I think it's fine and possibly unissued. It is also a nice large size. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Liner query   Liner query  

Liner query   Liner query  

Liner query  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Liner query
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Liner query

Most likely Norwegian reissue liner. Looks to be dyed red/brownish.

Regards, Lars

?

That's what I thought when I first got eyes on it but it isn't like any Norwegian liner I have had before where the Dye is randomly splattered on the back of the leather fingers. The liner doesn't seem dyed at all when in hand but granted it does have that red/brown look. This liner doesn't look as if the leather has ever been removed and it doesn't have the brass leather retaining pins used by Norway. Of course anything is possible:-)))
    Cheers
    A

?

Normally the dyed liners are a much deeper red than this , however it could have been cleaned, try checking the leather that you cannot see, inside the liner ring above the leather pins, is there a much lighter colour

The liner doesn't strike me as matching the condition of the liner ring.

I'm not sure it's a Norge one Lars, there is no staining on the stitching at the rear & normally a Norwegian rework liner has brass pins holding the leather onto the inner band. These don't look to be made of brass, but that doesn't mean the liner is ok, something seems wrong to me.... the size stamp is not right for this maker, it should be in the old style font with no circle as in the picture below. I think at least it is repro leather installed on a good liner band IMO.

Pic of an original B&C size stamp.

Liner query

?

According to Ken N's book. This maker used this exact size stamp from the year this liner was made onwards. They moved away from the gothic print in 1940. This ink stamp looks ok.
    Andy
    Last edited by BLONDI; 08-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    The liner doesn't strike me as matching the condition of the liner ring.
    Thats quite true and is either a repro or a much later add on, the circled size is one you see on a few Norwegians for some reason also on repros

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Normally the dyed liners are a much deeper red than this , however it could have been cleaned, try checking the leather that you cannot see, inside the liner ring above the leather pins, is there a much lighter colour
    I have checked the portions of the liner that cannot normally be seen and there are no lighter parts. The leather is uniform in colour. Of note also is that the liner ring is in quite good condition. There seems to be a light yellowish wax type substance on parts of it. This looks like corrosion in the pics.
    Cheers
    Andy

Also, I've just noticed it only has 8 fingers. A 61 liner should have 9 surely?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast