Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luft helmet M40 ear cut. Fake?

Article about: It looks interesting and original. It would be great to see better pics if you buy it. Jerry

?

Question Luft helmet M40 ear cut. Fake?

Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?

Hi everyone!
    I want to discuss the helmet.
    Was there such a helmet in reality or not?
    By legend, this helmet was found in the Czech Republic. I'm going to buy.
    Russian colleagues believe this helmet is redesigned from the standart M40.
    Thanks.
    Vitaly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luft helmet M40 ear cut. Fake?

I have never seen one like this, i dont even think its an M40 it has two raised vent holes? , no reason to ear cut the helmet, i think this is possibly an attempt to deceive, i wouldnt waste my money on this to be honest

?

I have found in the Internet only this information

German-Helmets.com

Luftwaffe Variant M1940 Flight Helmet
    An interesting and rarely mentioned variant Luftwaffe flying steel helmet (Fliegerstahlhelm) is one that incorporates ear cut-outs on a basic model M1940 helmet. The ear cut-outs are designed to facilitate the use of radio equipment used on the standard cloth or leather flight helmet. The general appearance of the helmet is the same as an M1940 save for double air vents and the factory applied ear cut-out.

Many have speculated that these helmets were field modified in nature, however it would appear that the helmets are in fact factory produced. No specific designation has been given to these helmets. The interior of the helmet has been observed with both a standard M1931 second pattern zinc liner band and leather, or sometimes without liner save for a thick wool felt padding. When issued with the M1931 liner, the chinstraps are the same as those found on standard German combat helmets.

When encountered, these scarce helmets generally have been painted to increase their visibility. The exact reason for applying bright paint to these helmets is unknown, although some theorize that it intended to enhance rescue efforts in the event the flight crew bailed out and were lost at sea. When painted, these helmets often have the "wooden Dutch shoe" or "clog" insignia found on II./Zerstorer Geschwader 26 "Horst Wessel." Other configurations of insignia are also possible. In many cases, the standard second pattern Luftwaffe eagle insignia is also applied to the helmet either on the front or sides.

Further information regarding this helmet is unknown and original examples1 considered almost non-existent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

1 Many collectors have theorized that these rare helmets are nothing but "fantasy" items created from M1940 shells. However, close examination of originals proves that the helmets are in fact wartime manufactured shells of a very precise, and factory produced style
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?  

?

I think that it is impossible to make this helmet from Ì40
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Luft helmet M40 ear cut.  Fake? 

?

Well if this is true i stand corrected, but i would like to hear from others regarding this, if its that rare then you truly could have one of the fewest helmets seen in the world

?

I don't know truth it or not, therefore I has addressed to you with a question. Thanks!

?

Someone would have had to fake it before it was rusted out like that. Would like to see a profile shot, closeups of the air vents (all 4) and closeups of the interior rim especially in the cut out area. A hand made job would show quite easily vs factory made with the vents and cut out. This looks to be a relic of a real shell, but to be honest I do not know much about this sort of helmet.

?

Now I have only those photos which are posted in the beginning.
    I should buy this helmet for 250 USD and I think that anyway it cheaply

?

I have never seen the helmet in use from period photos of downed german flight crews, in fact i would think that putting this on would be the last thing on their minds, plus ive never heard of one being liberated from crashed aircraft here in England, the line drawing you show has the frontal vent well forward, almost above the liner pin, yet in the actual photos the vent appears normally placed, but this might well be the interpretation of the drawing, i would still wait for other comments

What is the number made of this model. any period pictures.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast