Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe eagle decals

Article about: Need some tech advice about the correct positioning of LW eagle decals. I know that all other decals, shield type should be 5mm below vent hole but i cant find info for LW eagles, can you gu

?

Question Luftwaffe eagle decals

Need some tech advice about the correct positioning of LW eagle decals. I know that all other decals, shield type should be 5mm below vent hole but i cant find info for LW eagles, can you guys help or am i just being dumb, cheers dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe eagle decals
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe eagle decals

Hi Dave

Extract from Order number 440/34 Number 209 2 34

1. The service insignia and colour shield will be manufactured in the form of decals. Blah blah..........

2. Immediately after their arrival the insignia are to applied to the helmets. This must be done within the confines of the garrison

3. Placement of the insignia.
    3mm under the ventilation lugs: The middle of the insignia must pass through the centre of the vent opening, and it must be vertical in relation to the lower rim of the helmet.
    4. In the interim, the old unit shields on the left side of the helmet may be removed by the use of emery paper. The surface must be touched up with matte field-grey helmet paint, it is important to use matte paint, which will enable the decal to adhere correctly.

This order was issued on 5th April 1934, just before the German Army took delivery of the "new" M35 model, and as far as i can ascertain, it was never rescinded or altered........

And another fascinating subject is on the application of the decal itself
    1. Binding agents
    Ducolux lacquer, Kopal lacquer or Damer lacquer.
    2. Area to be free from grease.
    3. The lacquer may not come into contact with the backside of the paper of the decal
    4. Wait until the lacquer becomes tacky. Do not allow to dry out.
    5.Trim the paper border of the decal. Place the decal in position and strongly press down with a wad of soft cloth or small sponge. The paper should not be soaked through.
    6. After approx one hour the paper should be drawn downward and removed.
    7. Within 5-6 hours the lacquer border should be removed using turpentine, or a cloth saturated with water.
    8.After approximately 24 hours the decal should be covered with a colourless coating of one of the above lacquers.

Hope it helps

Excellent piece of information there Herr Brandon, heres one (albeit Army)....done to the regulations stated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe eagle decals   Luftwaffe eagle decals  

Quote by davejb View Post
    Need some tech advice about the correct positioning of Luftwaffe eagle decals. I know that all other decals, shield type should be 5mm below vent hole but i cant find info for Luftwaffe eagles, can you guys help or am i just being dumb, cheers dave.
    Unfortunately those "official" specs were never followed to the letter and you'll come across many decals which are not placed as specified.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Unfortunately those "official" specs were never followed to the letter and you'll come across many decals which are not placed as specified.
    Very true, But it was just a starting point

?

thanks guys that a very useful bit of info, but does it also apply to luftwaffe eagle decals as the ones i see on most lids are far more than 3mm below the vents , where is it being measured from the space between the shoulders or the uppermost portion of the wings

Hi Dave !

Here is a Luft eagle for your consideration.

The helmet size though, is 62 . . . . . Hope it helps !
    ( This is pretty much where they go - LOL ! )

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe eagle decals   Luftwaffe eagle decals  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-07-2010 at 04:10 AM.

thanks guys that a very useful bit of info, but does it also apply to luftwaffe eagle decals as the ones i see on most lids are far more than 3mm below the vents , where is it being measured from the space between the shoulders or the uppermost portion of the wings
    I don't think they were being measured Dave. It's just approximately where they wanted them to go.

?

Thankyou guys for all your help,it seems that there were no set regulations for the placing of luftwaffe eagle decals, which helps, therefore its just a matter of authenticity when identifying helmets viewed, cheers Dave

Thankyou guys for all your help,it seems that there were no set regulations for the placing of luftwaffe eagle decals, which helps, therefore its just a matter of authenticity when identifying helmets viewed, cheers Dave
    Exactly , you cannot use the measurements to tell good from bad , the graphical design and paint should guide you.
    I don't think I have one Luftwaffe helmet where the eagles are placed on exactly the same spot.