Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection

Article about: Hi All, You may recognize this 'Waffe helmet - it was purchased off a forum member from the classifieds. I've already got a few M16/17 pattern Stahlhelms and other imperial stuff , but I lik

?

Default Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection

Hi All,

You may recognize this 'Waffe helmet - it was purchased off a forum member from the classifieds. I've already got a few M16/17 pattern Stahlhelms and other imperial stuff , but I liked the look of this battered old girl...."been there & done that" sort of thing. On closer inspection under a strong lamp a possible Feldpost nummer & name appears to be lightly scratched into the interior rim of the helmet (see pic, hard to see sorry) it reads "10602 A.BÖHM" - any ideas anyone? The liner has been darkened by someone previously by the looks, god knows what they used to treat it with, it appears redder in the pics than in the flesh.

I'm thinking that I shouldn't have started on a ww2 theme as well.....it's going to be expensive....

Anyhow, warts & all I like it, hope you do too. All comments welcome.

Regards,

Dan

P.S just did a search on the Feldpost nummer, it's listed as "Flak-Regiment 131".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection   Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection  

Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection   Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection  

Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection   Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection  

Last edited by Jg26; 07-21-2016 at 12:37 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection
    P
    Many

Salty....... liner discolouration could be from hair cream ( pomade) or some cleaning agent.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

M38
    ?

Interesting helmet that may be more than it seems at first glance. Early ET maker mark and low lot number. Looking closely at the photos, it appears there may be green paint under the LW gray paint? This may have started out life as a Heer helmet then reissued to the LW. The fact that it has a 2nd pattern LW decal instead of a 1st pattern also supports this. Can you see the date on the liner band? I can see it is an un-reinforced single aluminum band. Anyway, nice well used helmet with some history. I'd be tempted to lose that drawstring though, it looks out of place in there.

Cheers,
    Terry

?

Good eyes Terry.

?

Talking Thanks gents -

Thanks for the replies Gents, glad you like her flaws 'n' all.

Terry - probably a simple explanation for the traces of green (although I wished it was otherwise!) the former owner purchased it a long time ago from a market with it being freshly painted with a layer of modern green with dodgy SS decals! After being carefully removed the 'Waffe grey was exposed. I took a pic of the liner for you - 1937 stamped by the looks, not sure of the maker - I'm sure one of you gents may know more?

Thanks for the interest!

Regards,

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M35 DD ET64 - 1st WW2 Stahlhelm to add to the collection  

M38
    ?

Thanks for the additional information Dan. That would explain the green paint traces. However, I still feel it is likely that the helmet left the factory with a 1st pattern decal, being such an early manufacture, so it was likely reissued at some point in it's life. And that's not a bad thing or a negative in any way. Just adds to the history of the piece.

I see it has a rare Max Densow liner. Just one more little positive attribute.

Cheers,
    Terry

Quote by M38 View Post
    I see it has a rare Max Densow liner. Just one more little positive attribute.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Are the odd shaped fingers an indicator of that Terry?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

M38
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Are the odd shaped fingers an indicator of that Terry?

Dan
    I can't claim to be such a good detective as that Dan. I can read the Max Densow name in the last photo provided. To my knowledge, the leather fingers in MD liners are the same shape as other makers and the ink size stamp should be similar to the large fancy numbers used on early B&C liners.

Cheers,
    Terry