MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.

Article about: If a tricolor it may have been field applied or fake. Never seen an SE DD LW M40 before and cant recall seeing a DD M40 LW other than one or two. Or like Frank says a repro was on there and

?

Default Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.

I know, fairly boring and common but it was my first helmet and is currently my only one.

It's the first time I've gotten around to taking any shots of it so thought I would share them here and hopefully some of you helmet guys can tell me what the numbers mean. I'm guessing lot number and size?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.   Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.  

Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.   Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal.

Hello, the chinstrap...

?

I have no idea about the chinstrap. It came with the helmet......

Hi Adrian, the SE64 is the manufacturer sachsishe emaillerwerk and a size 64cm shell,and the 7597 is indeed it's batch number.The helmet looks to be a M40 that was a double decal but the national shield has been removed to comply with 1940 regulations.P.S nice looking lid,the chinstrap maybe original but if it is it is certainly cut down!

?

Thank you for that.

The chinstrap isn't attached on one side. Look at the interior shot, you can see the loose end on the right hand side as you're looking at it.

I think the decal is a reproduction. The chinstrap looks like it is from the period, but I doubt it was issued with the helmet.

Regards,
    Corey

?

Hi Corey,

Any pointers as to what might make the decal a reproduction?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hi Corey,

Any pointers as to what might make the decal a reproduction?
    What concerns me is the swastika arms are crooked and the coloring/fading does not look right to me. Somebody mentioned that the helmet was an ex double decal. Double decal M40's are extremely rare. When they do show up for discussion, they need to be looked at very cautiously. I don't know if this one is suppose to be a double decal, but it certainly looks to me like the tricolor side had something occupying the space beneath the vent at some point in time.

Regards,
    Corey

?

I've seen crooked swastikas before and also decals which have folded up on application resulting in a very non conforming look.

I can take further photos if required, just let me know what you want to see.

It could have been a DD M40, but I doubt it. Could have been a post war tri color add on that was eventually removed. Crooked arms on the swastika are not unusual on Luftwaffe lids. application errors were quite common because of the complexity and many different angles on the Luftwaffe decal. Unfortunately, and perhaps suspiciously, many of the key areas of the eagle, mainly the head and talons, are rubbed or scrapped away. This makes it hard to tell for certain if the decal is a good one. This could have been a helmet doctored upto be an ex DD lufty M40 to bolster the price and sale. Drawstring could also be a repro.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast