Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lufty Q64 vs Lufty Q66

Article about: Folks, I'm thinking of getting one of these two M40 helmets. Both are Quist M40s and are a similar price. Helmet B is slightly more expensive. Helmet A has the chip strap, but a slight layer

Default Lufty Q64 vs Lufty Q66

Folks,

I'm thinking of getting one of these two M40 helmets. Both are Quist M40s and are a similar price. Helmet B is slightly more expensive.
    Helmet A has the chip strap, but a slight layer or rust coming through the shell. Helmet B is in a general better condition - the paint is very good.

I believe both helmets to be original for these reasons:
    1) Paint looks the right shade for Quist helmet and has the correct level of roughness.
    2) Both decals look good to me - the detail seems there on the feathers, the claws, the beak and eyebrow. The claws overlap the swastika correctly. I've compared to other 2nd pattern birds which look very similar.
    3) Helmet B looks to have a lot stamp of 2x25 which is think is good.

I couldn't see the lot stamp on helmet A. Also the only thing that concerns me a bit with helmet B is the worn liner which is perhaps not as consistent with the exterior of the shell?

I'm leaning towards helmet B because it does look pretty darn good.

Any opinions on either helmet and levels of authenticity are welcome.
    Apologies for the size of pics - it is the best i could get.

Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lufty Q64 vs Lufty Q66
    P
    Many

Tough decision. Both have issues. For me, it's all about the decals so A would be my choice. B ,the left wing looks un naturally "washed out" & I can't imagine what or how that happened through normal wear. Post war abuse most likely. Got some rusty patina but that should not get any worse if helmet is kept in a proper environment

Thank David. I see your point about the decal wing on helmet B. I'm wondering if the light is making it look like that or something else. Frustrating that the seller doesn't put up higher res photos. I'm going to ask for some.
    For me the decal is all important. I specifically want a good quality 2nd pattern bird.
    It also occurred to me that Quist produced the M40 after the '43 order for no more decals to be applied.
    Could this be post war added? Maybe a real decal, maybe not?
    Nick

Nick,

I like the first one. It has a chinstrap, decal is well defined and even though there is a little rust, the patina on this particular helmet is really nice. If I had the option I would prefer the first helmet simply due to the completeness.

Best of luck with your decision. It is a tough one, but ultimately it is what you are going to be happy with when it sits on your self and you are admiring it..

Lets us know which you choose.. Good luck..

Smitty

Hi, I had a look at these two on Regimentals myself. Personally if I were going for one it would be helmet A as apart from the light rust issues it is as honest as the day is long. The other helmet however does look messed with at once with that decals appearance. It may be original, but one "washed out" wing makes me think there is something to hide, especially as there is evidence of lacquer around the decal except where the suspect wing is?? Leon.

Quote by ChewiOne View Post
    Thank David. I see your point about the decal wing on helmet B. I'm wondering if the light is making it look like that or something else. Frustrating that the seller doesn't put up higher res photos. I'm going to ask for some.
    For me the decal is all important. I specifically want a good quality 2nd pattern bird.
    It also occurred to me that Quist produced the M40 after the '43 order for no more decals to be applied.
    Could this be post war added? Maybe a real decal, maybe not?
    Nick
    From your pics, they both look real. If they are both side stamped Qs' they had decals on them until late 1943. After,they were stamped in the rear, those should not be decaled normally, unless they have police decals on them.

I would choose A, even with the rust bleed the paint does not look too bad and it does have a good looking decal. Also, its always nice to have a chinstrap.
    Helmet B, although I think its good, it does have issues with the uneven wear on the decal wing as noted (and the tail area) and the split pins have lost some paint - yet the rest of the paintwork is in good shape. Utilizing earlier brass type ones maybe? or a more recent addition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast