Become our sponsor and display your banner here

M-17 any ideas?

Article about: Don't laugh but I bought this helmet about 18 yrs. ago, it was my first. I think the shell is real but everything else is redone. It was spray painted black and I picked it up pretty cheap.

Default M-17 any ideas?

Don't laugh but I bought this helmet about 18 yrs. ago, it was my first. I think the shell is real but everything else is redone. It was spray painted black and I picked it up pretty cheap. I am attempting to remove the black. I started on the inside skirt with pure acetone. As you can see from the pic there appears green and brown paint underneath. The problem I am having is removing the black spray paint, it is a bear, this small area is the result of about 10 hrs. work. The only thing that I can think of is that it is not oil or latex paint (possibly acrylic?). As you can tell from the pics I am not worried about ruining the finish (no sign of any decals under the paint). I would like to try to bring out the original finish if its still there which I think it is. Anyone have any ideas???? BTW does anyone have any idea about the "liner". Thanks, John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	172.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	128778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	175.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	128779  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	173.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	128780  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M-17 any ideas?

theres a paint remover sold in the US called GOOF OFF alot of people i know have used this with great affect at getting the modern paint off without damaging the original

?

It's nice to finally see this helmet, John!

I don't believe the liner is correct. It should be a 3 piece configuration as shown in the picture below. I could be mistaken however as I'm not up on different configurations of WWI helmets.

Good luck with the restoration!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AusM17f.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	128788  

Thanks Nick I've heard of it and will pick some up, thanks to both you and beerman. John

?

it'll be good to see the outcome

johnhmcgary, your helmet is I believe a German Model 1917 Stahlhelm, an M17, with its metal liner band still fitted, with some sort of later added custom webbing interior, it would of had 3 leather pads affixed to the metal band, these pads would in turn hold a small pillow of padding, usualy gauze or horsehair tied to the rear. yuengling325 shows these pads affixed to the liner of an Austro-Hungarian Stahlhelm (canvas chinstrap and chinstrap bails riveted directly to helmet shell). When you eventually remove the paint, there will be a mm on the inside of the skirt, near to the M91 chinstrap post, i.e. 'ET64', and a lot/heating number on inside of crown of the shell.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Don't use acetone to remove the paint, you have no control over how deep it attacks the finish. Use paint-stripper such as Nitromore's or whatever you have in the states. Apply sparingly with a rag in a wiping motion. Make sure you have another rag at hand soaked in white spirits to neutralise the paint-stripper. If you take care you will only remove the top layer without damaging what's underneath.