Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-17 any ideas?

Article about: Don't laugh but I bought this helmet about 18 yrs. ago, it was my first. I think the shell is real but everything else is redone. It was spray painted black and I picked it up pretty cheap.

Default M-17 any ideas?

Don't laugh but I bought this helmet about 18 yrs. ago, it was my first. I think the shell is real but everything else is redone. It was spray painted black and I picked it up pretty cheap. I am attempting to remove the black. I started on the inside skirt with pure acetone. As you can see from the pic there appears green and brown paint underneath. The problem I am having is removing the black spray paint, it is a bear, this small area is the result of about 10 hrs. work. The only thing that I can think of is that it is not oil or latex paint (possibly acrylic?). As you can tell from the pics I am not worried about ruining the finish (no sign of any decals under the paint). I would like to try to bring out the original finish if its still there which I think it is. Anyone have any ideas???? BTW does anyone have any idea about the "liner". Thanks, John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-17 any ideas?   M-17 any ideas?  

M-17 any ideas?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-17 any ideas?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M-17 any ideas?

theres a paint remover sold in the US called GOOF OFF alot of people i know have used this with great affect at getting the modern paint off without damaging the original

?

It's nice to finally see this helmet, John!

I don't believe the liner is correct. It should be a 3 piece configuration as shown in the picture below. I could be mistaken however as I'm not up on different configurations of WWI helmets.

Good luck with the restoration!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-17 any ideas?  

Thanks Nick I've heard of it and will pick some up, thanks to both you and beerman. John

?

it'll be good to see the outcome

johnhmcgary, your helmet is I believe a German Model 1917 Stahlhelm, an M17, with its metal liner band still fitted, with some sort of later added custom webbing interior, it would of had 3 leather pads affixed to the metal band, these pads would in turn hold a small pillow of padding, usualy gauze or horsehair tied to the rear. yuengling325 shows these pads affixed to the liner of an Austro-Hungarian Stahlhelm (canvas chinstrap and chinstrap bails riveted directly to helmet shell). When you eventually remove the paint, there will be a mm on the inside of the skirt, near to the M91 chinstrap post, i.e. 'ET64', and a lot/heating number on inside of crown of the shell.

Don't use acetone to remove the paint, you have no control over how deep it attacks the finish. Use paint-stripper such as Nitromore's or whatever you have in the states. Apply sparingly with a rag in a wiping motion. Make sure you have another rag at hand soaked in white spirits to neutralise the paint-stripper. If you take care you will only remove the top layer without damaging what's underneath.