Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M-35 project

Article about: This particular helmet was used by the norwegians and was painted blue when i aquired it, after about 2 weeks of work removing the paint using my wifes fingernail polish remover, this is wha

Default M-35 project

This particular helmet was used by the norwegians and was painted blue when i aquired it, after about 2 weeks of work removing the paint using my wifes fingernail polish remover, this is what i found underneath, original green paint with a partial name, this was the first time i tried this on any helmet, i think it turned out pretty good.can't find any maker marks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-35 project   M-35 project  

M-35 project   M-35 project  

M-35 project   M-35 project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-35 project
    P
    Many

Default Re: M-35 project

Nice job Bowlin, I've had an M17 that I can't get the repaint off. Tried the nail polish remover without any luck. Happy it worked for you. John

It wasn't easy, i probally worked on it an hour a night, i read some of the tips on this forum and thought i'd try it, thanks for your comments. Craig

The acetone seems to do the trick with the reissue paint but the original stuff seems to be tougher, I guess they baked the original finish whereas the reissue paint was simply brushed/sprayed on.
    Nice result by the way Craig

Hi,
    nice result on your work it takes time but is worth it in the end, some good paint left on it
    and will make a good display helmet. they did bake the helmets in the making so the paint is
    very hard to remove, you were lucky to have such a nice helmet underneath it.
    Dave.

You're very lucky Bowlin! I just stripped back a Norwegian re-issued helmet which had been refurbed in Luftblau with decals in the 1970s. I got the blue paint off very easily, but underneath the shell was a tans/sand colour and the spot where the decals originally sat were sanded clean :-(

Out of interest, what colour did the Norwegians use for these helmets? I'd always assumed it was green colour?

Jimbo

They also used a tan/yellow colour I believe. I have found this too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!