Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-39 Double Decal Helmet

Article about: Hi, Newbie here but wanted to share this helmet with yall! I've had this helmet since I was a kid. I found it in the shed of an abandoned museum. It's in fairly good shape although the Bolts

Zahigkeit
    ?

Default M-39 Double Decal Helmet

Hi, Newbie here but wanted to share this helmet with yall! I've had this helmet since I was a kid. I found it in the shed of an abandoned museum. It's in fairly good shape although the Bolts are missing, the leather is a bit rotted and the chin strap is broken. Anyway, take a look! I'd like to know what you all think.

- Mike

2. # ADS

Default Re: M-39 Double Decal Helmet

I think the shell is legit - but not the decals. It looks like an M40 shell - double decal M40's are darn near impossible to find and the look of the eagle decal isn't quite right. A closeup of the decals would nail it. Any chance at getting a look inside the helmet?

Cheers!

Rob

?

I think it's M 35, and the opinion based just on the feeling is good, but of cause noone from us will give 100 % answer based on that bad quality pictures/ We need staight and clear pictures
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

There is alot of glare on the eagle from some type of light and as they said we need close ups of the decals. At least we all agree that the shell is probably ok.

For display purposes museums will sometimes take an un-decaled helmet and add them.

rgds, Ty

Zahigkeit
    ?

Sorry for the bad photo quality! My digital camera is MIA so I took these with my phone....I know they suck

lach470,
    The Eagle Decal is Identical to the one you use as your avatar photo. Some idiot painted over the Eagle with silver paint. I removed as much of the paint as possible to reveal the decal enough to identify it without damaging the decal.

The aluminum liner band is stamped DRP 1939 on the Left Side and the Right Side is size stamped 62 n.A. 55

The Inside of the Helmet is Stamped 2710 on the back rim.

The Decals definitely appear to be original to the helmet. I am unhappy about the silver paint on the eagle BUT in a way, it kind of proves that whoever attained it, didn't care about making it presentation worthy. Again, it was found in an abandoned shed. I'd guess that it was picked up during the war and stored there until some sneaky kid "Me" explored it.

Liner band is for an M35 and the closeup of the decals show M35 rivets....That certainly helps with the double decal configuration. Most M40's with double decals do not have real decals. Looking a lot better as far as an authentic lid with real decals. Clearer pics are always better - but I understand.
    Have you found any markings on the inside of the helmet on the side of the lid? That would identify the maker. The number you've already photographed is the run number.
    By the looks of the liner band - your helmet is a 62cm shell.....so the maker could be something like Q62 or NS62, ET62,......
    Cheers!

Rob

Zahigkeit
    ?

Rob,

Ja Ja!! I took another look and yes! It has Q62 stamped on the inside rim.

Mike

Cool Mike....That shell was made by Quist....many collectors seem to prefer the Quist shell over others as they find it has the best "lines". Always personal preference though. The decal shown on my avatar is from my double decal Quist.
    Cheers!

Rob

Zahigkeit
    ?

So it's an M-35 Quist. WOW very cool!! I love this helmet! Always have! I don't think I'm gonna sell it anytime soon. You're right, the lines on this baby are great. When I was a kid I brought it to my Boyscouts meeting...I caused quit a stir to say the least.

Hahahahaha....I bet! Cheers!

Rob