Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added

Article about: LIGHT OLIVE GREEN COLOR SHOWS SOME WEAR,,HAS HAD GI-STYLE CHINSTRAP BALES ADDED TO INTERIOR,.PERHAPS USED BY THE BUNDESWEHR POST-WW II,,,AT ONE TIME SOMEONE HAS GLUED A PAD/LINER INTO HELMET

Default M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added

LIGHT OLIVE GREEN COLOR SHOWS SOME WEAR,,HAS HAD GI-STYLE CHINSTRAP BALES ADDED TO INTERIOR,.PERHAPS USED BY THE BUNDESWEHR POST-WW II,,,AT ONE TIME SOMEONE HAS GLUED A PAD/LINER INTO HELMET,GLUE RESIDUE REMAINS,,DING IN TOP LEFT HAND SIDE OF HELMET,,,NO LOT/SIZE MARKINGS VISIBLE DUE TO BEING REPAINTED,,EXCELLENT CANDIDATE FOR RESTORATION,,,,$175.00 ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD,,,,boxcarbob3845@yahoo.com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added   M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added  

M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added   M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added  

M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added   M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added
    P
    Many

Default Re: M-40 german helmet,no liner,,gi chinstrap bales added

Just a question Bob,

Why has this "M-40" helmet got no holes for the liner pins. As I'm sure you know there should be one either side in front of and below the vent hole and one in the rear of the helmet. I have never seen this before, have you? This, and many other aspects of it makes me feel the Item is bad.

What do you think?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I believe that this could be a post war German helmet, a so called M45? I read somewhere, sometime ago, about Quist making helmets post WWII and these didn't have the liner holes.

Quote by Alexander View Post
    I believe that this could be a post war German helmet, a so called M45? I read somewhere, sometime ago, about Quist making helmets post WWII and these didn't have the liner holes.
    My thoughts exactly, although it says it may be ,.PERHAPS USED BY THE BUNDESWEHR POST-WW II, it would not be a M-40 as described would it? Then again, was the M45 ever produced in this style or was it more like the M54 type?
    Last edited by big ned; 08-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Could it somehow be an unfinished factory reject that escaped destruction? Just a thought.

If not post war German it could be from Chile or Peru or even pre Communist China, they all used German type helmets.

Quote by Alexander View Post
    Re the so called M45. Not the liner holes which were missing, but the Air Vent holes.

Cheers,Ade.

2 thoughts/observations:

1/ The chinstrap bales aren't riveted on as one might expect from an amatuer hack job, they look spot welded to me which would indicate professional production.

2/ The paint doesn't appear to be so thick as to fully obscure any size and lot numbers (if there are any there at all)

I'm thinking there's not much German about this helmet at all.

Look at Joseba's site. ALEMÁN 35

It is a post war Police helmet. The Bundeswehr did not use the M35 and variants. Only Police and Bundesgrenzschutz were users. Finland ordered some as well. This one might be a Finnish used M40-53.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Look at Joseba's site. ALEMÁN 35

It is a post war Police helmet. The Bundeswehr did not use the M35 and variants. Only Police and Bundesgrenzschutz were users. Finland ordered some as well. This one might be a Finnish used M40-53.

Cheers,
    Emile
    I own a Finnish m40 and it has liner holes but doesnt have the chinstrap bales like this.
    ~Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast