Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued

Article about: A good example of what fire damage on a helmet looks like for reference purposes. The blackening and accelerated rusting around the strap mounts etc.

Default M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued

This M-40 single decal Heer was in my friends arson burglary fire in 1992 the thief broke into his shop and grabbed two nice SS helments, a Luft tunic and a few other items then set fire to it this helmet is a testment of German durability of helments. Most of the black soot I have removed inside was protected by liner that of course burned out. He originally put some field gray paint along rim to retard rust. Firemen that responded to fire thought I might have gotton to well over one thousand degrees due to the fact he had numerous flares live and ammo that exploded and burned. I own the helmet and just use it for display and maniquen possibly. The thief was caught and convicted. Helmet is a Q62 lot no is hard to read but looks like 133 didn't show very good, and is hard to read. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued   M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued  

M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued   M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued  

M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-40 Heer Helmet Rescued
    P
    Many

That actually looks pretty good considering, nice save. What a shit the thief was, still burnt the place even though he obviously knew about this stuff and what was the best to go for. Did they ever catch anyone?

?

Quote by timothy View Post
    This M-40 single decal Heer was in my friends arson burglary fire in 1992 the thief broke into his shop and grabbed two nice SS helments, a Luft tunic and a few other items then set fire to it this helmet is a testment of German durability of helments. Most of the black soot I have removed inside was protected by liner that of course burned out. He originally put some field gray paint along rim to retard rust. Firemen that responded to fire thought I might have gotton to well over one thousand degrees due to the fact he had numerous flares live and ammo that exploded and burned. I own the helmet and just use it for display and maniquen possibly. The thief was caught and convicted. Helmet is a Q62 lot no is hard to read but looks like 133 didn't show very good, and is hard to read. timothy
    Timothy
    Was the thief that Sizemore punk out of Cherryvale ?

Did you get back the two ss helmets, the tunic, and the few other items? Hope so, what a s.o.b!

Zinc liner bands would have melted at 780 degF so it didn't get THAT high but probably saw temps in the hundreds. Still n' all, it is in amazing condition for being through a fire. Gives me hope for my 3 dozen relic lids if the Aussie bushfires return this fire season ....... ( hoping I don't get to find out though )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

To answer the questions the thief got about 12 years for it Steve you hit the nail right and no the items were never recovered but the owner did get restitutions up in the thousands of dollars. Dan I thought it had a zinc liner band being a 1940 I think maybe some of the firemen do get a little carried away with heat course that is what they do. Moral of the story is be careful who you show your collection to this was a local punk that had been to the shop many times to buy a few small items and case the place out. timothy

What an asshole! At least the little jerk got caught, although the burglary being in '92 he's out of jail now.

Quote by Panzersaurus View Post
    What an asshole! At least the little jerk got caught, although the burglary being in '92 he's out of jail now.
    Yeah it dragged out for several years as all of them do before they findley get around to sentence and the guy acutally serving time. He's paroled by now I'd say. timothy

Hi Timothy, it makes me sick whenever I hear of someone being burgled , that really is one of the lowest ,gutless acts in my opinion , but to then go and commit arson on top is something else. If it were down to me the scumbag would never get out!! Anyway , the helmet looks great considering the "post war" fire storm it's been through. Post 1945 most helmets have no story to tell but this one is still at it! Leon.

?

Not in too bad shape Timothy, considering what it's been through.
    Good to hear they caught the turd.

Brad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast