Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M17 Chicken wire Helmet

Article about: I posted this helmet a while back. At the time I was told that I should remove the chicken wire. I think the helmet is what it is is, it is named, was used in WW1, reissued and maybe some bo

?

Default M17 Chicken wire Helmet

I posted this helmet a while back. At the time I was told that I should remove the chicken wire.

I think the helmet is what it is is, it is named, was used in WW1, reissued and maybe some bored soldier put the chicken wire on. I beleirev removing the chicken wire would losse some of the history to this helmet. I bought it with my eyes wide open, if the chicken wire isnt fair dinkum, it doesnt matter, the helmet is what it is, and will remain that way whilst I own it. I am a big believer of not mucking with items I have, if they are wrong, they are wrong, who knows it could be fair dinkum for all I know.

The main thing is I like it, if i sell it on, I will explain the full situation to a prospective buyer, I never misrepresent.

I post it here again to get some more discussion on it. Enjoy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 Chicken wire Helmet   M17 Chicken wire Helmet  

M17 Chicken wire Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Chicken wire Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M17 Chicken wire Helmet

Please do not get the impression that I am reposting hoping to get an answer saying"wow super rare" or anything. I am reposting it to show an unusual helmet that may cause some livley debate. I dont think I was ripped off, it only cost me AU250. It is unusual and causes livley debates when mates come over and see it! Thas what i think this is all abour, a livley exchange of views and maybe we can all learn something!

?

It's a great helmet! I agree that you should leave it on there, it adds character in my opinion. It's something that a guy like me would have done with his helmet, bored in the trenches, maybe just goofing around. Nice piece.

?

Thats exactly the way i see it, a lot of collecters seem to "go by the book" too much in my opinion. I mean millions of helmets were issued and who knows what situation this helemt was in and who wore it! I love that part of the hobby, looking at a piece and losing yourself in thinking about what it has been through, who owned, and why it is in the conditon it is in now

I like it on!

I don't think it is genuine but I like it anyway. I don't know what early 20th Century chicken wire looked like but this looks too hokely applied to be the real deal but it looks like its been on for awhile so i'd just leave it as it is.

AUD250 sounds like a fair price too.

Glenn

?

Yeh I love it.....apparently the chicken wire is correct for the period, but it could have been applied later.....either way the main thing is it sits proudly next to my M35, M40 and other helmets. I am not going to muck with it!!!! it would just be another plain old M17 otherwise!

This is item with the soul. I wouldn't care even if wire was attached later. It simply looks great!

If you like it, thats all that matters, I would be very happy to own it.

?

Yeh, its one of my favourites, though my new M35 single decal Heer is a close second!!

?

I think it looks super and would leave it alone!
    Cheers
    Andy