Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

M17 croatian steelhelmet DD einsatzstaffel

Article about: by DougB Thanks for the reply. I would love to examine them under 400x magnification. You would not have to magnificate so large believe me . I only have seen 1 picture in an old helmet book

frw legion flandern
    ?

Default Re: M17 croatian steelhelmet DD einsatzstaffel

Quote by DougB View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I would love to examine them under 400x magnification.
    You would not have to magnificate so large believe me . I only have seen 1 picture in an old helmet book with this kind off M17 helmet in. Thats it all i found till now . The rest is M34/40/42 .
    Are the pictures good ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02640.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	120378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02644.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	120379  

2. # ADS

?

Quote by frw legion flandern View Post
    You would not have to magnificate so large believe me .
    Because you have 2 helmets with this decal it means you could have 2 fakes as well, just playing the devils advocate.

And with respect to digital magnification -- Yes you do have to look that deeply or your not looking hard enough to prove or disprove your case. THis is what was done with the Heimwehr Danzig helmet here on the forum, one of the methods used to determine authenticity.

400x Digital magnification looks "into" the decal, so you can see what the age of the decal is along with the exact layering and construction. I have examined about 100 real SS decals in this manner and quite a few fakes, this way and there are clear differences.

If your decal exhibits qualities of these fakes found below then the answer is clear. Real SS decals including the variants are not like this construction and fakes seem to always miss one key component.

Below are examples of several fake EF SS decal, fake Italian SS decal, fake roundbottom SS ET decal, and a fake unapplied ET using modern digital printing charachteristics.

Schwerpunkt probably lives near you, he is using 200x digital magnification. He could probably meet you and show you what it is about and shoot your decals.

Also, this exposes repetitive tool marking and modern paint as that reflects whereas period paint being truly 65-70 years old does not. It also shows fine age checking that a loupe or the human eye misses.

Fake decals can run from ADM (Advanced Digital Magnification) but they cannot hide.

Very interesting thread, and a nice helmet if its genuine Looks like collecting rare helmets has become an almost very precise and exact science

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Very interesting thread, and a nice helmet if its genuine Looks like collecting rare helmets has become an almost very precise and exact science

Thanks

Danny
    For the prices one pays it can be necessary , especially for something like this. Personally these helmets are outside my comfort zone.
    If I got one dirt cheap I'd throw all technology I could at them. Starting with ADM.

Frw , do you have any "regular" helmets in your collection ? Like a plain SD SS M35/M40 or M42 or Heers LW's etc ?

If so would love to see them.

frw legion flandern
    ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    For the prices one pays it can be necessary , especially for something like this. Personally these helmets are outside my comfort zone.
    If I got one dirt cheap I'd throw all technology I could at them. Starting with ADM.

Frw , do you have any "regular" helmets in your collection ? Like a plain SD SS M35/M40 or M42 or Heers Luftwaffe's etc ?

If so would love to see them.
    Hi Schwerpunkt ,
    i have indeed other ss helmets . 1 DD handschar waffen ss helmet and 1 chickenwire SD ss helmet . 4 EA camo not SS .
    From wich country are you if i my aske ?

Grtz legion flandern

?

Quote by frw legion flandern View Post
    Hi Schwerpunkt ,
    i have indeed other ss helmets . 1 double decal handschar waffen ss helmet and 1 chickenwire SD ss helmet . 4 EA camo not SS .
    From wich country are you if i my aske ?

Grtz legion flandern
    Can you show us the Handschar and the CW SD SS and the camos?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12