Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M18 HEER transitional.

Article about: Evening fella's, the beers taking hold once more and I am liking the look of this M18. Seems to have it all to me, it's named, has a nice early embossed M31 non re-enforced liner (1931 dated

Default M18 HEER transitional.

Evening fella's, the beers taking hold once more and I am liking the look of this M18. Seems to have it all to me, it's named, has a nice early embossed M31 non re-enforced liner (1931 dated) although I think that is a date that was not altered for whatever reason during later pre-war years, and a 1935 dated carbine clip chinstrap. Your beer "addled" thoughts appreciated. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 HEER transitional.   M18 HEER transitional.  

M18 HEER transitional.   M18 HEER transitional.  

M18 HEER transitional.   M18 HEER transitional.  

M18 HEER transitional.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 HEER transitional.
    P
    Many

Still very much a newby on here and tons to learn but I'll take a stab. In the first picture just below the rivet it looks to me as though the paint has been brushed over rust (even though there are unpainted rust spots too). But I admit it is a very nice looking helmet.M18 HEER transitional.
    Last edited by AndyM35; 11-05-2017 at 08:01 AM.

MAP
    ?

Well. Not in front of my PC so will leave the decal analysis to others.

But is the liner band broken to the left of the top bale?

Otherwise I like your beer senses
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well. Not in front of my PC so will leave the decal analysis to others.

But is the liner band broken to the left of the top bale?

Otherwise I like your beer senses
    Hi Michael, yes the band is broken but to be fair the seller has stated that in his description so I cannot complain there!
    Hi Andy, welcome, you are correct that it is brush applied, but that is perfectly acceptable on early transitional's as they are reconfigured to suit their new purpose by the Reich. Remember, these are old WW1 stock re-used before the M35 with it's factory finish was introduced. Leon.

Thank you Leon. I've been a long time lurker and occasional questioner and now find I have to get my daily fix of this wonderful site and all of it's educational information. Good point the rust may have commenced prior to painting or the paint may have been applied unevenly or in a rush hence a little bit of rust coming through from beneath. Always learning. Not bad for 80 plus year old paint job. Very nice helmet.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Thank you Leon. I've been a long time lurker and occasional questioner and now find I have to get my daily fix of this wonderful site and all of it's educational information. Good point the rust may have commenced prior to painting or the paint may have been applied unevenly or in a rush hence a little bit of rust coming through from beneath. Always learning. Not bad for 80 plus year old paint job. Very nice helmet.
    I think good advise for a starting collector is first look at the big picture before you go questioning details. If the paint is good and the decals are good a few scratches or overpainted damage will not make the helmet questionable.

For what it is worth Leon looks like an M&B decal with an early round bottom tricolor. A better photo of the tricolor would help.
    The only thing that makes this helmet less desireable in my book is the wear on the decals. I would wait for a better example , these pop up still regularly. I really love these early transitionals. I have 3 of them so my mouth always waters when I see one for sale :-)

The first three on the page are mine : https://germanhelmetvault.com/heer/

Love the liner & strap. I believe it is only the second 1935 dated strap I have seen. You are correct liners were first dated 1931..then not re-dated until 1935.

I once bought a Luft M18 SD...brush painted as this just because of the 1931 dated liner.