Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1916 WWI German Helmet / What color is this??

Article about: Hi, found this one, and would like to know opinions about paint on this helmet. Is this the original green paint from WWI? Maybe this was repainted for WW2? It looks like very old paint work

Default M1916 WWI German Helmet / What color is this??

Hi, found this one, and would like to know opinions about paint on this helmet. Is this the original green paint from WWI? Maybe this was repainted for WW2? It looks like very old paint work.

How much in $US would a helmet like this be worth today. I was thinking of getting it maybe to go other helmets in my collection. I am not very familiar with WWI helmets and colors used, except the wild camo they used.

These are the only pics I have. There is one small hole on top of helmet. There is no liner or liner band. The 2 pointed looking devices on each side are there for chin strap, and paint looks similar to outside paint. Seller says it was found in France somewhere.

Thanks, Regards, Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??  M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??  M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??  M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this?? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M1916 WWI German Helmet / What color is this??

From that pictures is hard to say, but from a first look, I would suggest it's a probably 30's German reissue. But IMO this helmet must be no more than 100-130 USD
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    From that pictures is hard to say, but from a first look, I would suggest it's a probably 30's German reissue. But IMO this helmet must be no more than 100-130 USD
    Hi Dimas, thank you. It is just a little more than $130. I will wait to find better. What color were WWI helmets normally? A Grey color?

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, generally the feldgrau used on WW1 helmets was a more green shade.

Please have a look at two of mine which exhibit the original paint to the interior, even though the Austrian one is a transitional rebuild.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??  
    Attached Images Attached Images M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this?? 

I hope it's okay to revive a post.

I've got an M17 size 66 with most of the original paint on it. I color matched it in order to get the color to use on my next helmet.

Following are some pics to show you how the color came out for me.

The first three pic is of the M17 showing the paint swatch on it.

M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??

The next one shows a helmet from a professional restorer flanked by my M17 with the paint swatch.

The last pic is of the M16 size 64 that will be restored using the color on the swatch.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??   M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this??  

Attached Images Attached Images M1916 WWI German  Helmet / What color is this?? 
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Correus, the M16 you want to paint looks great to me as it is, I'm not sure I would paint it personally.

Well - I bought the M16/64 specifically for re-enacting. The actual condition will determine if it get's painted or not. I should know by Tuesday.

Quote by Correus View Post
    Well - I bought the M16/64 specifically for re-enacting. The actual condition will determine if it get's painted or not. I should know by Tuesday.
    I'd recommend posting it up for a review here when you get it mate, you might have bagged a bargain of an original shell. It would be a real shame to repaint it if it's all legit.

I agree - it looks like a very nice shell from the photos.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Okay - the new Stalhelm arrived today. The pics the guy posted on eBay did not do it justice. I'm now wonder if this helmet is an M16 that was actually issued in 1916 - one of the first batches made!

There reason I'm wondering this is the color. I've read that the first ones issued were painted a light field gray color. This one is definitely a light field gray color.

Here are some pics.

The first two show it next to the M17 I have.

The outside looks like factory applied paint, but the inside looks like someone tried to repaint the crown using a brush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast