Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1940 helmet @ chinstrap

Article about: A couple of months back I purchased this M1940 Luftwaffe single decal helmet from germanhelmet.com it is a Q66 Lot#11408 the helmet has the correct M31 steel banded liner and is a size 58 an

?

Default M1940 helmet @ chinstrap

A couple of months back I purchased this M1940 Luftwaffe single decal helmet from germanhelmet.com it is a Q66 Lot#11408 the helmet has the correct M31 steel banded liner and is a size 58 and what appears to be the original drawstring. There appears to be an application error on the luftwaffe decal this as I understand is quite common with Luftwaffe decalsThe helmet does have a period unissued chinstap that was added by the previous ownerRBN #0/0637/0002 Dave Shirlin at germanhelmets.com was not 100% convinced it was an original period strap said he had never encountered this RBN number before.I would appreciate an opinion on the authenticity of the strap as well as the helmet thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1940 helmet @ chinstrap   M1940 helmet @ chinstrap  

M1940 helmet @ chinstrap   M1940 helmet @ chinstrap  

M1940 helmet @ chinstrap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1940 helmet @ chinstrap
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1940 helmet @ chinstrap

Well, I like the helmet. It appears almost unissued and the liner is in excellent condition.
    IMO, nothing seems played with. Rivets look ok. Decal is what it is, but I think it's fine.

I too am not fussy about the chinstrap. I am used to seeing a different font/typeface,
    and a small amount of wear at least.

There are some excellent helmet 'pros' here, so please wait
    for more learned responses............
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-11-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Helmet, decal and liner look good. Chinstrap is definately a repro. I have a couple of the exact same ones on a few of my helmets that came without chinstraps just for display. These chinstraps sell for about $20 at gun shows and are VERY stiff. If original, they would be very pliable.

?

I'm certainly not a decal expert, but is seems that the arm of the swastika the adler is resting on, is distorted........looks like the bird was "too heavy". Could a German soldier get away with applying decal this way?

Quote by Pablo View Post
    I'm certainly not a decal expert, but is seems that the arm of the swastika the adler is resting on, is distorted........looks like the bird was "too heavy". Could a German soldier get away with applying decal this way?
    The soldiers did not usually apply the decals. Most helmets, as in this case, have factory-applied decals. German helmet decals, especially Luftwaffe ones, are very fragile and all it takes is a small wrinkle to have an application error.

I agree with the above post about Luft decals being very fragile and difficult to apply. They are water transfer decals making the swastika area extremely delicate and easily broken upon transfering to the helmet. I own a 100% original Luftschutzepolice helmet with BOTH the police decal and National shield decal being damaged on the bottoms of each decal due to improper installation.
    There are anamolies with just about everything WWII German. Most people believe that everything the Germans produced were absolutely perfect, just not so, especially late war items. Your helmet looks OK, decal was probably put on hastliy by a factory worker who had his mind on a hot date that night! LOL.

.......or had to hurry to the air raid shelter !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks guys I appreciate your opinions and the info on the decal application errors I my self have seen this application error on other Luftwaffe helmets . My next question does the application error take away from the value and would anyone care to give me an estimate on the value of this helmet as I would like to trade it for a single or double decal Heer helmet

It it were a major error it might have an effect on the value but in this case, it doesn't really affect it at all. I would say that it is worth about what you paid for it, considering that you got it from a reputable dealer.

I will p.m. you concerning a trade for a single decal heer helmet.