Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

M33 Italian Helmet

Article about: Can any one tell me if all WW2 Italian helmets had rivets to hold the chin straps on? I noticed some on E-Bay that are leather and were sewn on. Thanks, Peka

Default Re: M33 Italian Helmet

Hello Peka, I'm new here but have been comparing the genuine Italian m33 helmets wartime and post-war, with the Model 1951 Bulgarian "copies". Here's what I've seen in my comparisons (might be deviations I don't know about). Wartime Italian m33's have leather chin straps held onto rectangular bales by grommets. Post-war m33's have canvas chin straps held onto trapezoidal shape bales by grommets. The M51 Bulgarian helmets have leather chin straps held on by stitching...maybe this is what you have seen. Just guessing but I've spent days looking at helmets on every source I could find.
    Now a question: I just bought an Italian M33 with a decent liner but missing the chin straps...any idea where I can get leather chin straps close to correct appearence? I'm not a reenactor so they don't have to be authentic. Actually except for being stitched, the leather straps on the Bulgarian M51/M33 clone look like a similar style and I was wondering about using those but riveting them. Any advice ? Thanks. Skip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12