Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side

Article about: Just picked this one up dirt cheap, a nice M34 square dip shell complete with liner and chinstrap, clearly original to the piece, which is equipped with one of those early spring buckle Tuck

Default M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side

Just picked this one up dirt cheap, a nice M34 square dip shell complete with liner and chinstrap, clearly original to the piece, which is equipped with one of those early spring buckle Tuck-Tite fasteners, bearing a US patent number, seen on many pre War civic helmets. The size 58 liner has the tabs for a neck flap and has 2 or 3 names penned in ink on the leather. The only one I can really make out is the one that was stricken -"Schultz". The white paint has been on the piece forever. I would guess it was war time painted white and the number "9"stenciled on each side, perhaps for factory guard use. Of course, maybe this was a post war refurbishment, who knows? All comments on the piece are welcome. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side   M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side  

M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side   M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side  

M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side   M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 Square Dip Civic Helmet - Painted White w/ "9" Stenciled On Each Side
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Interesting one you have there Jim.

If you play with the color saturation on some photo editing software I'm sure you could figure out the other name.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I posted this helmet on GHW as well, and an advanced collector who specializes in civic helmets asked if the white paint was luminous. That hadn't occurred to me, but I just checked and it is, indeed, luminous. I am aware of 2 other TR vintage helmets that have luminous paint. One is an SS helmet, published in Kelly Hicks' first soft cover book. On that one the silver on the runic shield was over painted with radium paint. The other is a factory police helmet on which the factory name is stenciled on the exterior of the shell in radium paint. The luminous paint on this M34 has convinced me that the white paint and stenciled "9"s are indeed TR period applied. Now I have to decide if I keep a piece in the house that may have a little radioactivity. Any thoughts? Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Yes, saw it on GHW but didn't get a chance to read thru the thread. That is awesome to have the radium paint.

IMHO...it should be no problem but I guess it all depends on the level of radioactivity it gives off. The old colored carnival glass from the 1930's was made with uranium or something and the levels were so low it is not deemed dangerous (or so I have read).

Radium is radioactive, but not terribly much so; it has a half-life of 1622 years. The average human being receives about 100 mR/year, and wearing a watch with radium in it 24/7/365 will give you an additional dose of about .008 mR/hr (70 mR/yr).

The nuclear regulatory commission determined that anything under 200 mR/yr is harmless, and the maximum safe annual dose is 500 mR/yr. Anything above that is considered unsafe. Bear in mind that these are extremely cautious guidelines. (this is a copy and paste from a web site so take it for what it is...)

Just don't use it as a cup when playing sports and I think all will be fine. LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, another unusual helmet Jim, the paint has a great crazing effect on it, showing that it has been on there for a long time. I would guess that this is a period painted lid as well. Leon.