Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 - Comments and advice welcome (I am a newbie)

Article about: Hi all, I am very much an amateur hobbyist around this type of collecting, so more knowledgeable opinions would be greatly appreciated. The story behind something is so important in giving a

Default M35 - Comments and advice welcome (I am a newbie)

Hi all,

I am very much an amateur hobbyist around this type of collecting, so more knowledgeable opinions would be greatly appreciated. The story behind something is so important in giving an item richness and value. From my sleuthing, I understand this to be an M35, maker: Eisenhüttenwerk Thale (Batch number 3566)

It appears that its paint scheme is in line with the March 1940 general order regarding helmets being painted a rough textured field gray (matte)

This particular example came to me by way of a family friend. It came from the grandfather of a family friend of his. He was a South African soldier who fought in North Africa. He had picked up a couple of souvenirs (Pictures to come in other threads) including this helmet. From what I understand, it remained in his duffel bag from wars end to his death.

Apart from general comments and assessment, I would really like to get upkeep advice around the leather liner and straps (They are dry and relativey stiff, but overall in good condition) as well as whether I should do anything to the shell itself. Apart from a wipe down with a dry cloth, there has been nothing done to this helmet. Looking forward to comments!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 - Comments and advice welcome (I am a newbie)
    P
    Many

Hey, Dopplegarp,
    Can't comment on the originality of the decal, but it looks like a nice reissue M35 with the already mentioned textured feldgrau paint, as for the leather, it is best to leave it as is and not do anything to it, remember it has survived over 70 years like this and nothing happened to it and if you were to treat it in any way it could disintegrate far quicker than if not.
    Still a really nice helmet but it looks to not have been stored that well because of some of the paint flaking. If the story is ture it goes to show that we shouldn't just expect tropical camo helmets in Africa but also just plain ones.
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Hey, Dopplegarp,
    Can't comment on the originality of the decal, but it looks like a nice reissue M35 with the already mentioned textured feldgrau paint, as for the leather, it is best to leave it as is and not do anything to it, remember it has survived over 70 years like this and nothing happened to it and if you were to treat it in any way it could disintegrate far quicker than if not.
    Still a really nice helmet but it looks to not have been stored that well because of some of the paint flaking. If the story is ture it goes to show that we shouldn't just expect tropical camo helmets in Africa but also just plain ones.
    Luis
    I know that the soldier who picked this up was stationed in Cairo for some time. Always possible he traded it from another soldier coming through who had picked up a helmet in Europe.

Hello , a very nice M35 repaint you have there.
    Please don't do any more cleaning , the leather and strap even though they may not be pliable will not be helped by treatment.

Only keep the helmet stored in a room with a normal temperature and normal humidity level.

good looking early ET. Touch nothing. It has a desirable look to it

D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    good looking early ET. Touch nothing. It has a desirable look to it

D.
    Apart from a light dusting as necessary, I shall keep my grubby paws off it then Any rust spotting it has seems to be purely surface discoloration. Definitely no deeper rot or issues, which is nice.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Hello , a very nice M35 repaint you have there.
    Please don't do any more cleaning , the leather and strap even though they may not be pliable will not be helped by treatment.

Only keep the helmet stored in a room with a normal temperature and normal humidity level.
    Unfortunately, humidity and temperature in Durban is distinctly sub-tropical all year round - (Barely drops below 80%). That said, the helmet has already sat in a bag (probably in an attic) for 75 years in this environment and is not particularly worse for wear However, the room it is currently should provide a much better environment than it has had in the past.

Indeed a very nice overpainted M35