Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 DD Re-Issue Project

Article about: Nice work, Ben. Big improvement :-) I recently stripped back an M35 shell of its 1970s Luftwaffe paintscheme and replica decals. The paint came off much easier than I anticipated, but unfort

Default Re: M35 DD Re-Issue Project

Nice work, Ben. Big improvement :-)

I recently stripped back an M35 shell of its 1970s Luftwaffe paintscheme and replica decals. The paint came off much easier than I anticipated, but unfortunately the Norwegians had done a good job on obliterating any traces of the original wartime paint. Under the post-war Luftblau the shell was a sand/tannish colour and the areas where the decals would have once sat, were sadly sanded away.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Re-Issue Project
    P
    Many

?

Good job mate. I first saw it now. Would have placed a comment right away. had i seen it earlier. I really enjoy working on helmets myself. I have a few project at the moment. Yours have certainly given me some inspiration.

Glad to hear this has inspired some members to try a little restoration work on their own pieces. I was on the fence about doing it, but I decided to do it very carefully, and I waited my time and found some good "replacement" pieces to keep with the salty look. They have turned out rather nicely. I did both helmets very, very slowly. My little fingers helped a lot. I hope to see some other member's restored helmets as they are completed. Thanks for the kind comments!

?

I'm on my way with mine....just butchered and tortured a brand new repro chinstrap.....

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I'm on my way with mine....just butchered and tortured a brand new repro chinstrap.....
    LOL. thats what i was hoping to avoid having to try and do. i have been lucky so far on having the funds to pick up genuine chinstraps. god knows they dont come cheap, but if i can afford them, i will always go with them first. i do have one M18 SD Heer with a repro long end of the strap and only quick glance you cant even tell its a repro (I am no the one who aged the strap, but whoever did knows what they are doing!). Cant wait to see yours.

?

I really only wanted a stubby end from each side to match the relic liner and shell......looks as though the chinstrap has rotted in line with the liner.......will post pics tommorow in a seperate thread

?

heres a few teaser pics......about half way through ageing them.

Relic liner, butchered brand new repro chin strap.....relic shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 DD Re-Issue Project   M35 DD Re-Issue Project  

M35 DD Re-Issue Project   M35 DD Re-Issue Project  

M35 DD Re-Issue Project  

?

Great helmets, both of you! What did you use to strip the dye off of the liner AMTG? I've considered doing this with my two shells as well...

?

The liner wasn't dyed......came out of another relic helmet......

?

I will start my own thread in the SS helmet forum, rather than clutter up helmetone's thread with my own project!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast