Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M35 Double Decal Combat Police Helmet for opinions

Article about: Hi folks, I'm considering a combat police helmet, and wanted to see if there are any flags with this one? It's stamped ET64 Price is in the ballpark of \\$1000, which is within a couple hundre

Looking into the dating of these helmets, would I be correct to label this one an early 1940's production?

I wish we could know more about what these items have seen. Though this one, as any of its kind, can possibly turn a persons stomach.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Double Decal Combat Police Helmet for opinions
    P
    Many

Quote by avenger View Post
    Looking into the dating of these helmets, would I be correct to label this one an early 1940's production?

I wish we could know more about what these items have seen. Though this one, as any of its kind, can possibly turn a persons stomach.
    Yes they did some horrible things these Polizei troops. But then again maybe this guy just fined jaywalkers.
    We will never know.

I picked this helmet up this morning. I really hate to say but I'm a bit disappointed on the paint condition. The seller photos didn't look nearly as rusty as this helmet is. I think I'm going to probably be returning it as it's not at all what I expected it would be. I'll post some photos when I get home tonight. But, I've bought a lot of TR things the last couple of years, and this is the first real snag I hit, so I guess it was bound to happen. Just wish it wasn't on such an expensive item.
    Last edited by avenger; 10-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.

I picked this helmet up this morning. I really hate to say but I'm a bit gutted with disappointment on it. The seller photos didn't look nearly as rusty as this helmet is. I think I'm going to probably be returning it as it's not at all what I expected it would be. I'll post some photos when I get home tonight. Just really sad about it, as this was going to be Christmas. But, I've bought a lot of TR things the last couple of years, and this is the first real snag I hit, so I guess it was bound to happen. Just wish it wasn't on such an expensive item.
    Really , Sorry to hear. Based on the photos it seems like your standard wear and tear but the photos are a bit washed out.

Schwerpunkt, it's possible being my first attempt at a helmet that I had unrealistic expectations, so I'm open to being corrected if need be. But, my first impressions were not very close to what I had hoped for, and that it hadn't been stored very well over the years. I'll take good photos tonight, which should tell the real story either way. Regardless of what I do with it, I still very much appreciate the help you guys provided. Differences in photos can't be helped until you see something in hand. But, your expertise on authenticity etc. is very much valued, and I don't want anyone here to feel otherwise even if the helmet didn't turn out as I had hoped. And, I'll know a bit more about what I'm looking at going forward, which seems like part of the learning process.

MAP
    ?

Surprised. While the pictures were not that sharp, I dont see high levels of rust. But lets wait to see clear photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here are some in hand photos. As it sits here at my desk, it has an overall brown color to it, which isn't what I was expecting. I'm not going to say it's a bad helmet, but it's not what I was thinking it would be. I'd estimate it has about 60-65% of its paint left on the outer shell, with the front and the party decal side faring the worst. The police decal side isn't too bad (the decal has aged to an interesting sparkling gold color), and the top is surprisingly nice on it. I usually see in photos where the tops are scuffed and rusted. I'd really like to just find a single helmet that checks all the boxes, and maybe let this one go to a home that will appreciate it. It does look like an untouched example, with a 1940 dated liner that I could barely make out peering down the gap along the side of the liner. Am I way off base on expectations for it?

Really sorry I wasted everyone's time on this one. But, I do appreciate the help I received, and it's another example for the forum archives to be compared to if all else fails.

Last edited by avenger; 10-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.

MAP
    ?

Not sure what you were expecting and to each his own. But if your not happy with it now, will probably never be so return it.

But... I really like it. A nice clean lid. Looks great.

Unless one of the decal gurus have an issue..

Edit: just had to re do my comment...when I read it again, I sounded like a pompous ass.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I guess I thought it would have more paint left. I could tell it was going to have some rust, but did not think this much. I don't know, I guess that aspect of the condition bothers me more than it may others. The paint that is left is a lot darker looking in person, which makes the rusty areas stand out more than they look in the photos too.
    Last edited by avenger; 10-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.

MAP
    ?

I guess I thought it would have more paint left. I could tell it was going to have some rust, but did not think this much. I don't know, I guess that aspect of the condition bothers me more than it may others.
    Give it a couple of days. If it does not grow on you, return it. There are others out there...

Again, I like it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast